Initial observations and bug report

kevinpurcell
kevinpurcell
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I am running Windows 10 RTM (10240)

• App needs to be opened 2x. The first time you open the app it crashes for no apparent reason
  • Cannot send crash reports. Send selected crash reports opens a blank browser window
  • App says to swipe left, but this doesn't seem to do anything when you are in desktop mode on a non-touch enabled device. On a touch enabled device this swipe left works as expected. App should detect if you are using mouse/keyboard and have touch enabled/disabled.
  • When you add a vault from onedrive, when you get to the portion where it says that it can't find a vault at /apps/1password alpha/ you are stuck there with no option other than closing the app. This process will more than likely fail every time unless the user knows to place their vault at this location ahead of time. The 1pw app should prompt you to copy a local vault to onedrive from your computer if you want to use onedrive as your cloud sync location
  • When you click the credit cards category the app crashes
  • A number of categories are missing. The wallet seems to have been replaced with credit cards and I can no longer see memberships or social security numbers
  • Generated passwords category is missing
  • Weak passwords category is missing
  • Duplicated passwords category is missing
  • Accounts category is missing
  • It is not clear how you go about using this version of 1pw. When I click on an item in the list it doesn't open the website
  • Where does this app save backups? I assume this functionality will be added at some point

I know that this is alpha. I am VERY happy to see OneDrive support!

1Password Version: 1.1508.143.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: OneDrive

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

@kevinpurcell, thanks for taking time to share your results and questions!

• App needs to be opened 2x. The first time you open the app it crashes for no apparent reason

This is a known issue that we expect to be solved in a coming release. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Cannot send crash reports. Send selected crash reports opens a blank browser window

I just now confirmed that this works as expected. Do you have an e-mail client defined on your device? If so, which app is it?

• App says to swipe left, but this doesn't seem to do anything when you are in desktop mode on a non-touch enabled device. On a touch enabled device this swipe left works as expected. App should detect if you are using mouse/keyboard and have touch enabled/disabled.

Please try swiping up and down—one should have the effect of swiping left. We expect to change the wording in a future release.

• When you add a vault from onedrive, when you get to the portion where it says that it can't find a vault at /apps/1password alpha/ you are stuck there with no option other than closing the app. This process will more than likely fail every time unless the user knows to place their vault at this location ahead of time. The 1pw app should prompt you to copy a local vault to onedrive from your computer if you want to use onedrive as your cloud sync location

Understood. Thanks for the suggestion! As you can imagine in an alpha app, there's room for more work in usability and "edge cases."

• When you click the credit cards category the app crashes

I'm not able to reproduce that on my Windows 10 Lumia 635. Given that all Windows 10 devices (phone and other) are running the same code, I'm not sure what might be happening in your case—this is the first we've heard of that problem. It's possible, of course, that one of your Credit Card items contains a field that we're not expecting and thus not handling properly.

Does this happen consistently, every time you select the Credit Cards category?

Does it happen with any other categories?

• A number of categories are missing. The wallet seems to have been replaced with credit cards and I can no longer see memberships or social security numbers
    • Accounts category is missing

All 1Password products are transitioning from the AgileKeychain format to the OPVault format, in which items are "grouped" and labeled a little differently that in 1Password for Windows (in its default setup).

Please let us know (support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com) if any of your items are actually missing.

• Generated passwords category is missing

The intention is that the app will always list the Logins, Identities, Credit Cards, and Secure Notes categories (even if they're empty) and will display other categories only if they contain items.

• Weak passwords category is missing
    • Duplicated passwords category is missing

Like All items, these are actually "smart folders" or "filters" (rather than categories or item types) and have not yet been implemented in the alpha app.

• It is not clear how you go about using this version of 1pw. When I click on an item in the list it doesn't open the website

At this time, the app is still in "copy and paste" mode: Copy your username from the app, and paste it in to the web site's login page; repeat the process for the password; submit the login form.

In a future release, tapping the "globe" icon near the lower right corner of the screen (when you view a particular Login item) will open the URL defined for that Login item. In yet another future release, we hope to be able to fill the appropriate fields at that URL with your Login credentials and submit the form, though I haven't heard definitively whether Windows 10 will allow that kind of cross-app control.

• Where does this app save backups? I assume this functionality will be added at some point

A "backup" feature has not yet been implemented. At this time, backups are handled by the other 1Password products you're using on your Mac or PC and syncing with your Windows 10 device.

• I know that this is alpha. I am VERY happy to see OneDrive support!

It was the first sync method we included, because we know it's important to so many Windows users.

Thanks again, @kevinpurcell. Keep the feedback coming!

• kevinpurcell
    kevinpurcell
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@DBrown

I just now confirmed that this works as expected. Do you have an e-mail client defined on your device? If so, which app is it?

I was using google chrome as the default mail app for some reason. I switched this to the "mail" application and was able to send the reports

Please try swiping up and down—one should have the effect of swiping left. We expect to change the wording in a future release.

I think regarding the first run I didn't articulate myself properly in regards to what the application is doing. I will first say that I have several different devices that are all running Windows 10. I have a Surface Pro 3, I have a custom built desktop that is using mouse/keyboard only, and I also have a Lumia 640 running the latest Windows 10 build for phone.

• On the Surface Pro 3 the first run works as expected; in that you can swipe with your finger to get through the setup screens.
    • On the non-touch enabled desktop it asks you to swipe, but no combination of the mouse allows this and instead you are supposed to click on the arrows to the left/right, but this is not apparent given how the colors contrast
    • On the Lumia 640 the first run image does not line up properly with the softkeys or the taskbar, but the screenshot doesn't show the taskbar at the top

All 1Password products are transitioning from the AgileKeychain format to the OPVault format, in which items are "grouped" and labeled a little differently that in 1Password for Windows (in its default setup). Please let us know (support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com) if any of your items are actually missing.

None of my items are "missing", but since the SSN and Membership categories are no longer there those items are only able to be found by performing a search of all items.

A couple of new observations:

• I have noticed that the app is not auto locking itself even though I have set it to auto lock after 1 minute. The app also does not auto lock if you lock the desktop
    • I have noticed that the search is not auto-clearing when you move to other categories or refresh the category you are in. If you change to a new category (e.g. All Items to Logins) the search field should clear itself.

And a final question:

Will OneDrive support come to 1pw for Android and iOS?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Thank you for the clarifications and suggestions, @kevinpurcell!

On my Lumia 635 running Windows 10, auto-lock at 1 minute was working so well that I finally set it to "Never." Is this behavior on one of your other devices?

I don't know of any plans to add OneDrive support to the 1Password apps for Android and iOS, at this time.

This discussion has been closed.