Splash ID VID importer

In case it's helpful, I spent a bunch of time writing this script to convert my Splash ID data from Splash ID's "vid" format to a format that's appropriate for import. I wrote this because the "SplashID .csv" importer that ships with 1Password suffers from a number of serious problems:
  • It's very buggy.
  • It seems to throw away data without telling you.
  • The ".csv" format loses a whole lot of SplashID information.

I can't promise that this script is perfect, but it's at least something, and (unless there's a bug) it never throws away any of your data (anything that it can't match goes into the note field).

To install it (Snow Leopard only), you'll need to Show the "1Password.app" contents, then place the "SplashID-vid.py" file in the "Contents/Import" folder. You'll also need to go to the terminal and type in:
chmod +x /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/SplashID-vid.py

Then, you'll need to choose a ".vid" file that hasn't been encrypted.

Enjoy!

-Doug

---

...oh, and in case it's useful to anyone, I've attached my attempts at a patch to fix some of the bugs in the original "CSV" script that ships with 1Password. I didn't get very far with this. If you don't know what it is, just ignore the "patch" file.

Good luck!

-Doug

Comments

• Thanks so much for the work you put into that, Doug! Recently, in version 3.5.4.BETA-1, we made changes to the SplashID importer. It'd be really great if you'd try that out and let us know what problems (if any) still exist. You can enable beta versions in the Updates pane of 1Password's preferences.

Please let us know what you find!

Thanks again!
  • I am having trouble importing from SplashID to 1Password. It seemed like it would be simple. I went to File/Import. Then specified which SplashID vID file to import. But then it asks which character encoding and none of them look normal. I would suggest you make this super easy and intuitive. I have over 1,000 entries in SplashID and the only way I'll fully make this transition to 1Password is if this data transfer (import) works well. Right now, I'm struggling with it. Please help Rob. I appreciate it. - Ben

RobYoder wrote:

Thanks so much for the work you put into that, Doug! Recently, in version 3.5.4.BETA-1, we made changes to the SplashID importer. It'd be really great if you'd try that out and let us know what problems (if any) still exist. You can enable beta versions in the Updates pane of 1Password's preferences.

Please let us know what you find!

Thanks again!
  • Ben Arnon wrote:

I am having trouble importing from SplashID to 1Password. It seemed like it would be simple. I went to File/Import. Then specified which SplashID vID file to import. But then it asks which character encoding and none of them look normal. I would suggest you make this super easy and intuitive. I have over 1,000 entries in SplashID and the only way I'll fully make this transition to 1Password is if this data transfer (import) works well. Right now, I'm struggling with it. Please help Rob. I appreciate it. - Ben

Hi, Ben. Welcome to the forums!

First, let me make sure you're using at least 1Password for Mac version 3.5.4.BETA-1. Is that correct?

All right, then you'll still need to export your SplashID data as a CSV file, not a vID file in order for 1Password to import it. Once you've done that, try importing into 1Password again. If it's still not working for you, you might try Doug's script for importing a vID file.

Please let me know how it turns out!
  • I just spent a while testing SplashID to 1Password importing and can now understand why it is so difficult. Doug, I could not get your vID script to work. It pops up an error when I try to import the vID 3 file, and the regular vID file isn't recognizable at all. Our CSV import is not too bad, considering what we have to work with (the SplashID export). If SplashID exported a little more information about its fields and replaced new lines with \n, I think we'd be better off.
  • Actually I appear to be using Mac Version 3.5.3 (build 30812). I just downloaded it earlier this week and when I checked for updates it said I have the latest version. Can you send me a link to download Mac version 3.5.4.BETA-1?

I'll also try importing CSV file from SplashID as opposed to a vID file. Hopefully everything will be formatted correctly. I suspect there will be some issues though. Thanks!

Ben

RobYoder wrote:

Hi, Ben. Welcome to the forums!

First, let me make sure you're using at least 1Password for Mac version 3.5.4.BETA-1. Is that correct?

All right, then you'll still need to export your SplashID data as a CSV file, not a vID file in order for 1Password to import it. Once you've done that, try importing into 1Password again. If it's still not working for you, you might try Doug's script for importing a vID file.

Please let me know how it turns out!
  • Ben Arnon wrote:

Actually I appear to be using Mac Version 3.5.3 (build 30812). I just downloaded it earlier this week and when I checked for updates it said I have the latest version. Can you send me a link to download Mac version 3.5.4.BETA-1?

To get the latest beta version, simply go to 1Password > Preferences, click the Updates pane, and check the box next to "Include Beta versions." Then you can check for updates again to get the latest beta.

There most likely will be a few niggles with the SplashID import, especially if you have multi-line notes, but I wish you the best!
  • Thanks a lot, Rob! I really appreciate the help and your quick replies. Very impressive customer service!

Ben

RobYoder wrote:

[/size]

To get the latest beta version, simply go to 1Password > Preferences, click the Updates pane, and check the box next to "Include Beta versions." Then you can check for updates again to get the latest beta.

There most likely will be a few niggles with the SplashID import, especially if you have multi-line notes, but I wish you the best!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    On behalf of Rob, you are quite welcome! :-)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

Cheers!
  • Chris Paulis
    Chris Paulis
    Community Member
    edited February 2011

In case it's helpful, I spent a bunch of time writing this script to convert my Splash ID data from Splash ID's "vid" format to a format that's appropriate for import. I wrote this because the "SplashID .csv" importer that ships with 1Password suffers from a number of serious problems:
    • It's very buggy.
    • It seems to throw away data without telling you.
    • The ".csv" format loses a whole lot of SplashID information.

I can't promise that this script is perfect, but it's at least something, and (unless there's a bug) it never throws away any of your data (anything that it can't match goes into the note field).

To install it (Snow Leopard only), you'll need to Show the "1Password.app" contents, then place the "SplashID-vid.py" file in the "Contents/Import" folder. You'll also need to go to the terminal and type in:
    chmod +x /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/SplashID-vid.py

Then, you'll need to choose a ".vid" file that hasn't been encrypted.

Enjoy!

-Doug

---

...oh, and in case it's useful to anyone, I've attached my attempts at a patch to fix some of the bugs in the original "CSV" script that ships with 1Password. I didn't get very far with this. If you don't know what it is, just ignore the "patch" file.

Good luck!

-Doug

As a beginner, I'm afraid I need help installing the script... How do you show the contents of the 1Password.app?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Chris!

Right- or Ctrl-Click on 1Password.app and then select "Show Package Contents" from the context menu.
  • As new user from splash id I was not getting satisfactory results from importing using the splashid filter. (I now have a much better understanding as to why it is so difficult to work with splashid data – my data varied a lot.) For me, the exported .csv file had one column with my titles and was consistent. All the other columns varied as to the data type. The next most consistent columns that I could work with contained username and passwords. So here is what I did.

1) Export splash id data to .csv.

2) Arranged / sorted data into two categories – logins and notes. I used two separate files, one for logins and one for notes.

3) Using the excel function =CONCATENATE(B1,B2, etc) to merge text cells together with a quote at the beginning and the end.

4) Set up four columns for login data and two for notes data. (Title, username, password, notes for login and Title, notes for notes) (I also merged all the username and password columns into the notes field as a backup). I then copied the needed columns to a new files using paste special - values only and then saved each as .csv file.

5) Import each to the two files separately using the 'csv / delimited text' import format pull down menu in the import assistant of 1Password and map our columns in step 4. (I used Title and Notes 1 for notes and added username and password for logins) Be sure to select delimiter character as comma, fields are quoted, line to start - if needed, and item type as login or note.

Yes, I have some cleanup work to do over time, but all my data is in 1password with my original title from Splash Id and it is easily searchable. Hope this will help someone.

David
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, David, and thanks for the tutorial! It sounds like you really do have a better sense of what we're up against when importing from SplashID.

I hope that can help some other users as well!
  • CPRoot
    edited March 2011
    Thanks all for all the great ideas. I'm a newbie to 1Password (v3.5.9 build 30884) but been using SplashID (v5.3.4) for a bunch of years now.

What I'm very confused about is not so much the direct SplashID to 1Password issues, but why the .csv I export from SplashID which, when viewed in Excel (Mac v 12.2.8 ) is perfect, goes all higgily piggly when I bring it into 1Password. I have read this thread and done a bunch of experiments with options, but... it's as if 1Password just wants to get silly on the .csv when one imports it. I open up the SplashID export .csv in Excel and each row is broken into exactly the fields I want, mostly just the type of data, User, Password, URL and notes. But when I import to 1Password, no matter what encoding type I work with, for no decenable reason, those rows from Excel suddenly so awry and the data no longer lines up. So, I go back to the .csv and start looking at it as text.... Nope, no particular item that's different on the line (row) that works vs. one that doesn't. What is 1Password doing? I'm just not getting it...

blink.gif

thxs
    cheers
    rOot
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, root. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

My guess is that if you look at the CSV in a text editor, you will see some fields spanning multiples lines which may or may not be quoted properly. It is possible that Excel is parsing the CSV differently. If you wish to send us a sample CSV without any personal information which reproduces what you consider a bug, we would love to take a look at it.

Were you are able to get your data imported using the VID importer from the original post? Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Doug,

Thanks very much for your script. I just downloaded 3.5.9, and it did exactly what you described. It imported about a fifth of my records. When I tried breaking up the csv into smaller sections (even 2 records), it just would not import the records which it had previously ignored.

David
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, David!

We are very appreciative of Doug's script. My guess is that there is perhaps a single record which has some unescaped or unquoted data in the file exported from SplashID. If you can narrow it down to smaller subset of data, there may be something we can do to help. Unfortunately, it may be a problem in SplashID's exported. That is one of the hardest parts of import is that half the process is beyond our control. :S
This discussion has been closed.