Strange variables auto-save

Options

Hello everyone,

I'm playing around a bit with 1Password and with the 1Password browser extension.
When I log on to a website, the extension asks if I want to save the credentials in 1Password....Ofcourse I do want to save those credentials!

However, when I take a look inside 1Password itself, not only my username and password is being saved, but a lot of other variables as well.

Please take a look at this Facebook auto-save account:

Besides the username and password variable I see a lot of other stuff like birthday_day, sex, firstname, lastname and so on.

I see this same behaviour with other websites. Not all of them, but some of them.

The second thing I noticed is that the Name (first column) field shows a other desription then the Destination (last column) field. What's the reason for this?

Right now, I'm just deleting those variables and rename the values in the 'Name' column to just 'username' and 'password'. It doesn't bother me really but I'm just curious why this is happening.

With kind regards,
DedSec85

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @DedSec85,

I would actually recommend leaving the leaving the Login items as they are, let me explain. When you save a Login item from within the browser via way of the extension it takes a snapshot of the entire page. Some sites like Amazon have really clean login pages, some like Facebook merge registration and logging in for existing users on the same page. Some sites even have numerous hidden fields just to mess with you.

How we fill depends on whether the fingerprint of these fields on the web page matches what is stored in the Login item so by deleting the fields you change the finger print and how 1Password will proceed. For any site where you need more than a standard username and password filled in these deletions will break filling.

The Naam column in your screenshot is based on the field titles as they appear in the web page so for that reason we would also recommend not adjusting them.

So to summerise, all of the fields are taken from the web page in question and they assist 1Password in filling. If you have any other questions on this or feel I haven't answered in enough detail please do let us know :smile:

• DedSec85
    DedSec85
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables ,

Thanks for the explanation! This makes sense now. I will not delete those items.

With kind regards,
    DedSec85

• littlebobbytables
    Options

I'm glad my explanation could help make sense of what we're doing @DedSec85 :smile: If you have any other questions you know where to find us :smile:

This discussion has been closed.