Windows 10? [It's the future]

Options
Ciwan
Ciwan
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi Guys

I have Windows 10 installed on my PC at home. I also have it installed on my Nokia Lumia 635 (I'm an insider at Windows).

Now that Windows 10 is out, and it is coming to all Windows devices in the near future, should focus be shifted to Windows 10 and getting a 1Password Universal App and not Windows 8.1?

PS. Good news is, the current 1Password Alpha works on Windows 10 Mobile too. I have not tried all functionality, but these work:

1. Open Dropbox vault
  2. Login to unlock vault
  3. View Logins
  4. Copy / Reveal passwords

That is what I mostly use it for anyways :) So very good job.

UI though, it is horrendous, really terrible. But I won't say any more on that since it is an Alpha :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Ciwan last couple of releases was Windows 10 only, what is the version you are running - if it's 1.1508.143 then you have Windows 10 Universal App ;)

• Ciwan
    Ciwan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Sergey

Nice, thanks. I do have version 1.1508.143.0.

That is good :) It doesn't "feel" like a Universal App. Also, not sure if others have this issue, but the app doesn't take the whole screen on my phone.

Am I reporting issues in the right place? Or is there another way to report issues? :)

• @Ciwan yep, this is good place to report issues, on Lumia 635 it should fill whole screen, we will check layout one more time. Thanks!

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm just wondering if all future alphas/betas will be Windows 10 only, or whether Windows Phone 8.1 will be included in the rollout again?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015
    Options

@Ciwan: I'm running the same build of 1Password Alpha on Windows 10 on a Lumia 635, and I don't see the problem with the screen that you describe. Here's a screen shot:

There seems to be a problem with the screen-capture function, though, because on the phone screen, there's a black border of equal width on the two sides.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To my great surprise, @Ciwan, Dev says that the problem is probably caused by your items having short names. O_o

They say it should be addressed in a future build.

I learn something new every day. :D

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pbryanw, as I understand it, only a major flaw would prompt another release to the 8.1 stores, with ongoing development being aimed at Windows 10 devices.

• Ciwan
    Ciwan
    Community Member
    Options

Haha Thanks DBrown. Good to know!

@DBrown, does search work for you? When I try and search for something, the app crashes after I type the second letter! For example, if I want to search for "Facebook", I type "Fb" then bam it crashes and exists the app.

Also, is the 1Password Alpha icon blue in colour in the app list? It looks out of place with it being blue, and everything else being white.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yup, the icon is blue-on-blue. I don't know whether that'll change soon, but we'll keep an eye on it.

Nope, searching doesn't crash the app on my Windows 10 Lumia 635. I even tried typing Fb, as you described. Nothing is returned, because my vault doesn't include any items with that string of characters, but the app continued running. Typing Face in the search box filters out all other items (including one called Bastfack) to list only my Login item for Facebook.

• RoselR
    RoselR
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I've been using 1Password for iOS for quite a while now. My vault is stored in a Dropbox Apps folder. I just installed the Windows 10 build of 1Password on my Windows 10 laptop and have selected to use my vault in my Dropbox folder.

My questions is, should I be concerned about this build messing up with my vault? I'm afraid that I might lose my passwords should I start using the Windows 10 build. I haven't really started using it on my laptop because of this concern.

Any thoughts will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@RoselR, thanks so much for your interest in the 1Password for Windows Modern alpha app!

At this time, the alpha app doesn't modify your sync folder (the .agilekeychain or .opvault folder in your .../Dropbox/Apps/ folder), so there should be no chance of damaging your data by experimenting with it on your Windows 10 devices.

Thanks for joining us, @RoselR. We look forward to hearing from you again!

• RoselR
    RoselR
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, @DBrown! Looking forward to use 1Password more often on my Windows 10 machines!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We're glad you're here, @RoselR!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@DBrown, So what you're saying is, 1Password for Windows Modern for WinPhone 8.1 is near final stage in spite of its "Alpha" Tag?

as I understand it, only a major flaw would prompt another release to the 8.1 stores, with ongoing development being aimed at Windows 10 devices.

Windows Phone 10 isn't coming to my Lumia yet.

• mcjohnso
    mcjohnso
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    1. Message from AgileBits indicates that only Win8 currently supported, but it seems to be useable on Windows 10.
    2. 1Password seems to crash on started up fairly often, but on the 2nd click of the icon, it starts up normally.
    3. I can't seem to flag an item as a favorite the way I can on Android and IOS.

--Mark

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

@wkleem: Yes, we'll be focusing further development of the app on Windows 10, as mentioned in the last newsletter:

i have Windows 10 on my Lumia 635, so I know it's possible. You do need to sign up for the "Insider Program", though:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-download-phone

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mcjohnso, thanks for the feedback!

Microsoft wouldn't let us put it in the Windows 10 Store if it couldn't be certified to run on Windows 10. In fact, development beyond this point will focus exclusively on Windows 10.

That "first-tap crash" is a known issue, a solution for which we hope to include in an upcoming release. As you noted, launching the app again allows it to work as expected.

Being very much an alpha app, 1Password for Windows Modern still has a lot of "to be developed" functionality. Anything that would change the state of the vault—adding items, editing items (including marking them as favorites), or deleting items; writing vaults to a sync point; and so on—has yet to be released.

Thanks again for taking time to write, @mcjohnso—We look forward to hearing from you again!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not with the Windows Insider. I am going to wait it out.

Thanks

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's your choice, of course!

I needed to join, for my work here, but I must say Windows 10 is an improvement on 8.1, in my opinion, so I'm glad I did.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope no one minds that I've merged two very similar threads.

• pbryanw
    pbryanw
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

I've just reverted back to Windows Phone 8.1 after having a few issues with 10. So, I'm looking forward to upgrading to the final version of WP 10 in November/December and also having a new, updated 1Password app, that's worthy of the platform, ready waiting for me to upgrade to :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @pbryanw!

• ronharding
    ronharding
    Community Member
    Options

Any idea when we will be able to edit using the Universal App?
    I have been using it on my phone (Lumia 830), and had forgotten about it on my windows 10 PCs - I was using the desktop app.

Just ran the universal app on my Surface Pro 2. Looks very good.

One thing I would like to change.

The "..." at the end of each entry... couldn't we have an icon for Reveal and Copy instead of a pop up list?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, @ronharding!

As you know, the app is still in the alpha phase of development, so we can expect to see changes (as well as add/edit/delete and write/sync) as it moves through to beta and initial releases. Keep the feedback coming!

• ddobyns
    ddobyns
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having an issue logging into my existing vault with the alpha app. I get an "incorrect password" message even though I've confirmed the password is correct and continues to work with all other versions of 1Password. Is this a known issue? Any workarounds or suggestions?

• @ddobyns please check here https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/249494/#Comment_249494

Chances are it will help, if not - drop a line at support+windowsmodern@agilebits.com and we will help

This discussion has been closed.