Using two Windows laptops and an iOs device

Until now, I kept my 1Password vault on a Windows 7 laptop, and synched with my iPhone using dropbox. I now want to access the same vault on a (new) Windows 7 laptop, the iPhone and a second Windows 7 laptop. What is the best way to accomplish this?

1Password Version: 4.01
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Hi @Irv Hepner,

For your new computer, download Dropbox first from (https://www.dropbox.com), install and wait for it to finish its syncing.

Now, download 1Password from (http://agilebits.com/downloads), install 1Password and open it, it should detect your vault in the Dropbox folder and you should then be all set to go with syncing between all of your computers and iOS devices.

Let me know if that helps.

• By the way, they're having issues this morning, so you may have to wait for them to fix their issues before everything is working.

Their status page is here: https://status.dropbox.com

• Irv Hepner
    Irv Hepner
    Community Member

That seemed to work fine. Thanks very much.

By the way, is it correct to say that if I make a change on any of the three devices (regardless of which one) that it will automatically sync on both other devices through DropBox?

• Hi @Irv Hepner,

That is correct, that's the sole purpose of Dropbox; to ensure identical copies on all computers and mobile devices linked to the Dropbox account.

Of course, it will do that as long as it has enough time to finish its job. If you make changes and shut down the computer right way, the changes won't be sync'ed until you boot up the computer to let it finish its tasks.

• Irv Hepner
    Irv Hepner
    Community Member

Thanks very much. :)

• You're welcome!

• qdiddycane
    qdiddycane
    Community Member

I just did the same thing. I have it all working, except on the new PC, I don't see a Vault in its local folder. When I sign into 1Password, I see the path to the Drop Box file, but nothing on the local drive. My other PC's (I have several) all seem to have the path to the dropbox file AND a local drive. how do I fix that? my assumption is that I don't have a local file now on this new PC (which, btw, really is my main PC that I saved for last :-) Don ask ...)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@qdiddycane: So far so good! So long as Dropbox is installed and finished syncing on your final PC, you can simply open 1Password and go to File > Open 1Password Vault to choose it and you should be all set.

To be clear, 1Password always works with a local file. Dropbox keeps local copies of all of your data there, or you'd not have access to any of it any time you are without internet access. 1Password also only has a single path for a given vault, which will be listed in 1Password File > Preferences > General.

If you're still having trouble, please follow this guide to narrow down where the problem lies:

Dropbox sync is not working

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• qdiddycane
    qdiddycane
    Community Member

No real trouble. I'm just trying to understand how it works. I think I get it now. The local copy of my data is in my local Dropbox folder. THAT's what I missed. I was looking all over for it, but I didn't realize that the way things work is that I have a copy of my vault in my local Drop Box folder and then that syncs with Drop Box cloud. Cool! If I understood this wrong, please do let me know. Thanks, @Brenty.

• Hi @qdiddycane,

That's how it works. Dropbox stores a local copy in its Dropbox folder on your drive and the Dropbox program will keep that copy in sync with its own copy on their servers. Each time you connect a new device or computer to the Dropbox account, it'll pull the server copy to that new device and then the local Dropbox program will keep that copy in sync with Dropbox's servers.

That's why Dropbox sync is typically easier to use compared to local sync like Wi-Fi, as there's a copy in the cloud to sync with. Local sync require both devices to be online in the same network to sync whereas Dropbox only need an Internet access.

This discussion has been closed.