Feature Request - Delete all data after 10 unsuccessful master password entries

Options
rstern7m
rstern7m
Community Member

I just started using 1Password two days ago. One feature I looked for and could not find was a way to destroy all of the vaults after multiple unsuccessful attempts to enter the master password. I think it would be a good setting to be able to turn on in case my computer or phone is ever lost or stolen. A strong master password with a 10 guess limit would put my mind at ease that no one would ever get at my data. The 10 guesses should be cumulative across sessions (closing and reopening the app should not rest the counter).

Thanks for listening.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @rstern7m,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your request! This type of suggestion comes up every now and then, and I can let our developers know you'd be interested in such a feature - however, I thought I should also mention there are some specific reasons why we don't already have an option like that. As Dave Teare once wrote:

I see where you're coming from but I really dislike the idea of deleting people's data. While in theory this may help keep people secure, I think it is much more likely people will accidentally shoot themselves in the foot. Imagine if I added some important data to my iPhone and then by 4 year old daughter was playing with the unlock screen and all my data ended up being removed.

Auto-destruct features like these are easily circumvented anyway because the first thing a real criminal would do is copy your data off your iPhone so they can attack it offline with real tools.

You might also be interested in reading our security guru's on thoughts on this topic, which you can find in this post. (That response is a bit older now, but still relevant.)

Please also know that 1Password has other ways of keeping your data safe, which you can read about in this knowledgebase article: How does 1Password keep my data safe?

Now, that's not to say we'd never add a feature like you suggested. But I thought you might like to know our current thoughts about that. I'm really glad you're thinking strongly about the security of your data - that's what we like to see! If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.