"Failed to fetch some record zones" error on iCloud sync [new reports of successfully syncing now]

124»

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2015

Thanks for the update! Indeed, it looks like the worst is behind us, and the iCloud problem has gone as quietly as it came. We really appreciate everyone's patience while waiting for a resolution.

Suffice to say, if anyone out there is still having issues, be sure to reach out. There is — confusingly — a completely separate issue which will actually give this same error, which is related to deleting 1Password data from iCloud from iCloud Settings in OS X or iOS, outside of 1Password itself. Cheers! :)

P.S: @wkeving: You rock. :lol:

• boban
    boban
    Community Member

Hi, I can it looks like the problem is indeed fixed. I am now again able to sync through iCloud between iOS and OSX.

• iiohab
    iiohab
    Community Member

It's resolved for me now too. I appreciate everyones quick action and rapid investigation into the problem!!

• wkeving
    wkeving
    Community Member

@brenty There's so much wrong in the world that deserves our anger and frustrations. Technical issues usually don't fall in that category for me. Just doing my part to provide helpful info with a little levity added in for good measure. Y'all keep up the good work.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@wkeving I for one can certainly appreciate it :) I was pulling my hair out yesterday so having a good laugh was a definite positive to the day.

I'm going to update the status post saying this is resolved and hopefully we don't see this pop up again.

Thank you everyone for your help in getting this straightened out, we really do appreciate it! As always, let us know if we can do anything to assist.

• RBC9
    RBC9
    Community Member

Working for me now .
    But before it works on OS X , (error : "enable iCloud" when iCloud IS enable and working :))

1 : on IOS create new vault, with Sync iCloud / same password as original vault
    2 : on OSX , activate iCloud Sync. (no more error iCloud :))
    3 : wait end of update iCloud data
    4 : on IOS , reset settings and re-start /configure to use existing vault with iCloud sync

ps : on OSX , using tools in help to reset iCloud data, give me the error when i try to enable iCloud sync on OS X.
    But doing the 4 steps , bring me back iCloud sync working.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming! Cheers! :)

• DuaneL
    DuaneL
    Community Member

Working well here also! All I had to do was disable DropBox and enable iCloud. Thanks.

• Great! Thanks for the update. :)

• pkuloki
    pkuloki
    Community Member

Same problem after I delete 1Password data from iCloud from iCloud Settings in OS X or iOS.

And now I do every thing, logout restart login, but failed.

• Hi @pkuloki,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Please see these instructions:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/231849/#Comment_231849
    Please let me know if that helps.

For anyone else reading: Please do not manually delete your 1Password data from iCloud unless you've spoken to us first.

Thanks!

Ben

• pkuloki
    pkuloki
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

It's very nice to find you guys so thoughtful, it works!
    I made a summary.

How to Reproduce

1. Open iOS Settings, iCloud | Storage | Manage Storage, Found 1Password and Delete it.
    2. Open iOS 1Password App, Disable then enable 'Sync with iCloud', there will be 'Failed to fetch some record zones'.

The Easiest Way to Fix it

Now the data in iCloud is broken (or just the client can't handle this condition).

1. Open iOS 1Password App, Settings | Advanced | Erase Data and Settings (No need to uninstall/reinstall it), and the app will restart automatically.
    2. Open iOS 1Password App, Create new Vault with same master password and Sync with iCloud. (Now the data in iCloud is small but valid.)
    3. Open Mac 1Password, Disable & enable iCloud Sync, and merge vault, then Sync with iCloud. (Now the data in iCloud is completed.)
    4. Open other devices, merge from iCloud or just 'Erase Data and Settings' and restore from iCloud.

So I guess the bug is because 1Password can't handle empty/missing iCloud backup, hope you will fix it in the next version.

• We'd highly recommend making a backup, as outlined in this post prior to using the Erase Data and Settings option.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Ben

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@pkuloki

That is pretty much correct. We don't seem to handle the scenario when someone wipes the data out from iCloud preferences on the machine/device. I have tried my best to figure out where things are going wrong but it's incredibly difficult when I can't recreate the scenario on the development containers so I can step through the code to see where it's breaking exactly and test a potential fix.

Turns out that you can't access development container information from the iCloud preferences area. Which means I can't seem to recreate the issue that way by deleting the data from the control panels (only production/release data shows up there). And I can't debug applications that are running on production servers so I can't just test on those, but I can recreate the scenario there.

Leaves me a bit in a pickle :) While I could potentially try a few things and maybe hit the right mark I would like to be able to test any changes before shipping to millions of users if at all possible as I could make things far worse than they are already.

Given that, I can make no promises as to when a fix comes but do know I'm looking at it and will get it fixed as soon as I can be sure the fix is safe and will make nothing worse.

I should make it more clear though that there are two issues present.

1) There's the issue where most people in this thread were getting it for having done nothing at all. This is something that Apple is still investigating. We can't fix that, so far as I can tell.

2) The issue above that I'm talking about is a different issue but presents the same exact error.

Hopefully that makes things a little more clear.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@pkuloki Just wanted to update you again. I believe I have solved the issue you encountered there and described previously. Pending any testing in the real world once we get a beta out I'll see if I can't 100% confirm this for you :)

Edit: Can confirm, fixed :)

This discussion has been closed.