Folder sync between Android device

Honza
Honza
Community Member

Hello,

I purchased a premium version of Password for Android. I created a vault on my Android Phone with the password database and I chose folder syncing as I don't have and don't want to create a drop box account. My idea was that I would copy the DB to another device to keep them synced (boy I was naivee).

I'd like to sync my database created on the phone also to my Android tablet. In addition, I need to backup the DB to Google Drive.
1. How can I copy/transfer my phone DB to my tablet, so that libraries are synced?
2. How do I back up the DB to Google Drive?

Thanks for the support!
Honza

1Password Version: 4.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 5.1
Sync Type: folder

Comments

• Hi @Honza.

I'll answer your second question first, as I think it may help with your first problem. While we don't have built-in support for Google Drive sync, we have heard from several customers who were successful in syncing using Google Drive. To do so, install a Google Drive app on your device, and point it to the .agilekeychain folder you have saved in local storage. If you have Google Drive sync on another device as well, you'll be able to sync your locally saved vault that way.

Otherwise, you'll need to manually copy your .agilekeychain from your Android's local storage to your other device(s) somewhat regularly, to keep the vaults current on both (or all) devices. I've just written a blog post which has instructions for moving your locally saved vault. Please try those steps if you'd like to move your vault.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let us know if you need further clarification. Thanks!

• Honza
    Honza
    Community Member

Hello Peri,

thanks for replying and for suggestions! Unfortuntely I was unable to copy .agilekeychain from my Android's local storage onto my local PC or to Google Drive. Whenever I attempted to copy it, there was an unspecified error thrown at me by Win 10. Luckily enough I found out it is possible to compress the folder into zip, which I was able to subsequently copy to PC/Google Drive/other Android device.

Is the 1password folder on the Android somehow protected against copying or was that just my case? If so, I suggest mentioning in the blog post that compressing the .agilekeychain is the way to go.

Best,
    Honza

• Thanks for getting back to us. :) There are no restrictions on copying your .agilekeychain folder onto a PC (I've done it several times myself), so as long as you connect your Android to your PC with a USB cable, and then copy the entire folder onto your PC, there shouldn't be any issues. I'm not sure why you saw that error, as I haven't seen any errors myself. I haven't upgraded to Windows 10, though, so I wonder if that may be the reason for your error.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to move the vault after compressing the folder. However, as this has been known to lead to errors, we don't typically recommend zipping up the .agilekeychain before moving it. At any rate, I'm glad that it worked for your!

If you have any further questions or problems, please let us know. Thanks again!

This discussion has been closed.