Is it a good idea to add the 1Password's Master password to iOS keychain?

gayemacy
gayemacy
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

On my iPhone, I added it to my Keychain, and I can now fill in things with one click of the mini 1Password. Not sure how to do 1 click on iMac. Have to go into mini 1Password, find the logon, and tell it to fill in.

1Password Version: 5.3
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:add 1Password to keychain, kb:why-use-1password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gayemacy: I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you manually adding your Master Password to the OS X Keychain? If so, I would advise against this (or storing it anywhere). First and foremost, it makes it accessible to anyone who gains access to your computer, and it also encourages you to forget it over time — a problem which has no solution.

As far as logging into websites with 1Password, you can press ⌘ \ at the login form to have 1Password fill your saved login for the site, or click the 1Password browser extension icon. I hope this helps! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Thanks! It does. I think a request popped up to save in OS X keychain.

Also, I've been having this foreboding. I no longer know any of my own passwords. They aren't anywhere I can access them if I can't access 1Password. If we're traveling and for some reason I lose my phone, I can't even access iCloud to shut it down. Can I use it from someone else's computer or iPhone? How? This worries me.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gayemacy: Good thinking! Be sure to backup your data regularly, and also keep in mind that your data isn't accessible anywhere unless you put it there. If you use Dropbox Sync, you can take advantage of 1PasswordAnywhere (the 1Password.html file within your .agilekeychain vault, which you can access through the Dropbox website once you've set up sync). Just as important (if not moreso) as the backups themselves is having a backup plan. The 1Password Emergency Kit is a cool tool created by 1Password users. Check it out! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Brenty- thank you. 1password may be beyond my capabilities. I can't sign into ICloud, even copying and pasting the Apple password. Can't get into the App Store either. Then had to sign into Google and Gmail. Keep getting the pop up to sign into iCloud. Used "forgot password" to change iCloud password. Still doesn't work. Can't send email; can't update apps. At least before I knew my passwords and never had these problems on sign in. What now?
    PS/ the manual recommends syncing to iCloud, so changed to that from Dropbox. Feeling completely screwed

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

I'm locked out of Gmail, Google, Facebook, iCloud and connected password apps. My iCloud can't get to my Photos. I am struggling with this product, although it sounds like a good one. They behave differently on my iPhone from my iMac, and I can't keep the conventions straight.

Nothing opens automatically as it used to. I''m asked to sign in every time to each app separately, even if they're all supposed to open with the same password (e.g., Apple, Appstore, iCloud) Facebook, Gmail, etc. They sign ons do not agree with the 1Password autofill passwords. Sometimes I can copy and paste my way in as this morning with Facebook (iMac) on my iPhone, but if I can copy and paste and it works, why doesn't it work otherwise?

I still don't understand backing up to Dropbox, when your instruction guide suggested iCloud as the better choice and Dropbox second. There appears to be a contradiction between the manual and the Agilebits advice. So I took the suggestion and sync through iCloud. But, guess what! I can't access iCloud! And I no longer know any of my passwords, because they're all encrypted somewhere in 1Password - which I can open, but it doesn't communicate with the supposed sites as I mentioned.

I just want to get out of this mess and get my iPhone and computer back. I'm good with tech stuff, but this is just way too much digging, searching, going layers down to change or fill in something each and every time I sign in and on each of the two devices (iMac, iPhone). I had to choose a category for this question and having to choose 1 chose iOS, but if I had a choice it would be ALL urgent questions on ALL your devices that are now useless and hopelessly locked out.

I feel really helpless and at a loss. And I've been using the Agilebits forum for help, but it assumes a broader/deeper tech knowledge base than I have. I need something simple, user-friendly, and with one click to open things that works the same way on iPhone as on iMac.

1Password was recommended to me by the Genius Bar manager at the iTunes store, Fashion Valley. But he's an Apple Genius...

1Password Version: 5.3
    Extension Version: 4.4.3
    OS Version: 10.10.5
    Sync Type: iCloud (hahahahahaha!)
    Referrer: forum-search:HELP! Stop the 1Password! I want to get off!

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

PS - And installer won't accept an Apple password so I can't update Office. And did I mention I have 5 updates waiting for me in the App store?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited September 2015

@gayemacy where did you buy 1Password for your Mac from (from the Mac App Store or Agilebits site)? I am no expert, but it's a starting point for other to help you.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Brenty- thank you. 1password may be beyond my capabilities.

@gayemacy: You're most welcome, but we're not done yet! And from your description, I don't think 1Password is beyond your capabilities at all. It can just take some time to get used to anything new! :chuffed:

I can't sign into ICloud, even copying and pasting the Apple password. Can't get into the App Store either.

Just copy your iCloud/Apple ID password and paste it to log in. I do apologize for not being clearer. 1Password cannot log you into apps. There just isn't a way for 1Password to integrate with other apps the way it can with web browsers, using the browser extensions. So in these cases, you can still store your passwords in your 1Password vault and then copy and paste them to log into the App Store, etc., which allows you to use a long, strong, unique password for each without having to memorize them all.

In the web browser, in the other hand, you can use the 1Password extension as I described above to login to websites you've saved in 1Password. It's just other apps themselves which don't allow this.

At this point, whether you use iCloud or Dropbox doesn't make a difference, as it doesn't sound like you're syncing your vault to another device. But going forward iCloud is a simple option if you just want to sync between Apple devices; whereas Dropbox allows you to use 1PasswordAnywhere and sync with Windows and Android too.

"Let's start at the very beginning, a very good place to start!" It may help to go step by step through the user guide rather than trying to do everything at once, to help you get a feel for 1Password as you're just starting out:

1Password for Mac User Guide

And be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Will try user guides again. But I have copied and pasted iCloud and Apple password in iPhone when it pops up and it won't take. Wish you were in San Diego for "home schooling."
    When you begin you begin with A, B, C.

• gayemacy
    gayemacy
    Community Member

Is there anyone in San Diego/92107 who understands how to work 1Password on iPhone 5 and iMac????

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

Hi @gayemacy,

I hope you don't mind, I've merged your post from the iOS forum into this existing thread so that we can see all your posts about this in one place.

I'm so sorry if you're feeling overwhelmed. I've just sent you an email with some steps that I think will help us get you on the right track with your whole 1Password setup. Let's continue the conversation there, and we'll do our best to restore your confidence with 1Password! :)

ref: FGU-73785-783

• Hello @gayemacy,

I see Vee has contacted you via email. To avoid any confusion I'm going to go ahead and close this thread but if you have any further questions or issues please do post.

ref: FGU-73785-783

This discussion has been closed.