Disappointed

Lightwave
Lightwave
Community Member
edited March 2011 in 1Password 4 for Windows
I've used Roboform in Windows for a few years, and I'm used to the way it works and its ugliness.

However, in preparation of moving to a Mac, I thought I would future-proof myself by making use of 1Password instead, as I'd read loads of positive things about it for Mac users.

So I've got 1Password for Windows, and I also have it on my iPhone and iPad, where the Dropbox sync works well, and it's really useful.

However, in Windows, I'm extremely disappointed with 1Password. Is this experience what I can expect when I get a Mac, or are 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac different animals?

For instance, there are a number of sites that 1Password's login filling doesn't work with. www.bet365.com would be one example. It just fills the username field with "Password", and fails.

Also, I was of the impression that 1Password could store my identity information (name, address, contact details) as well as credit card details, and intelligently fill forms, the way Roboform does. In my years of experience with Roboform, it's very intelligent, and works almost every time. If I visit a site/page I haven't visited before (for example to place an order) and it asks for my contact details, I just click on my Identity, and it loads them all into the form. On the next page, when it asks for payment, I just click my Identity and it loads it all into the form.

I expected 1Password to do this. While I have the ability to store my identity and card information, it never seems to fill them in on a form. In Chrome, when I hit CTRL+\ I get the 1Password popup appear, and I have access to my Logins, Identities, Credit Cards and the Generator. But if I try and use my Identity to fill a form with my details - it doesn't work. (EDIT: To clarify - it might fill in my name and leave the rest of the form blank)

In Firefox (was 3.x, now 4.x) when I press CTRL+\ the popup shows (along the top) Lock, Logins, Credit Cards, Generator, Search. Well that's different! Where's my Identity info?

It all feels very inconsistent, and overall disappointing. While it looks good, at this stage, 1Password doesn't seem to hold a flame to Roboform, even though Roboform is hella ugly.

I suppose my questions are;

Is this what I can expect on the Mac?
Why is 1Password so inconsistent between browsers on Windows?
Am I using it correctly, or is it just not working?

Thanks,

Al

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Lightwave wrote:

I've used Roboform in Windows for a few years, and I'm used to the way it works and its ugliness.

However, in preparation of moving to a Mac, I thought I would future-proof myself by making use of 1Password instead, as I'd read loads of positive things about it for Mac users.

So I've got 1Password for Windows, and I also have it on my iPhone and iPad, where the Dropbox sync works well, and it's really useful.

Thanks, Al, and welcome to the forum!

However, in Windows, I'm extremely disappointed with 1Password. Is this experience what I can expect when I get a Mac, or are 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac different animals?

For a bit of background on the differences between our 1Password products for Mac and Windows, please see Why doesn't 1Password for Windows look like 1Password 3 on my Mac? in the FAQ section of the user's guide.

For instance, there are a number of sites that 1Password's login filling doesn't work with. www.bet365.com would be one example. It just fills the username field with "Password", and fails.

When I visit www.bet365.com, it switches me automatically to www.bet365.com/en/, where I can't find a "log in" link or button. Can you give us the specific URL, exactly as it appears in the Location field of the Login you've saved for that site?

Also, are you using a Login created automatically by 1Password when you logged in to the site, or did you create the Login manually in 1Password itself?

Also, I was of the impression that 1Password could store my identity information (name, address, contact details) as well as credit card details, and intelligently fill forms, the way Roboform does. In my years of experience with Roboform, it's very intelligent, and works almost every time. If I visit a site/page I haven't visited before (for example to place an order) and it asks for my contact details, I just click on my Identity, and it loads them all into the form. On the next page, when it asks for payment, I just click my Identity and it loads it all into the form.

I like that "one click serves all" aspect of Roboform, too. (I came to 1Password in much the same way you describe above.) 1Password just doesn't work that way. Your identity, credit card, and login info are stored separately, as you can see in the 1Password UI. As a result, the worst-case scenario would be a form where you need to log in to a site, enter your name and address, and supply payment info: In 1Password, that form would require three "fill" operations. If you're used to Roboform, that's definitely going to be frustrating, but the separation of data into "vaults" (item types) is fundamental to the current incarnation of 1Password.

I expected 1Password to do this. While I have the ability to store my identity and card information, it never seems to fill them in on a form. In Chrome, when I hit CTRL+\ I get the 1Password popup appear, and I have access to my Logins, Identities, Credit Cards and the Generator. But if I try and use my Identity to fill a form with my details - it doesn't work. (EDIT: To clarify - it might fill in my name and leave the rest of the form blank)

With millions of web sites coded by tens of thousands of developers according to thousands of not-so-standardized standards," there are always going to be forms that pose a challenge to 1Password. We deal with those one at a time, so please let us know the URLs where you're having problems. Each one helps us make 1Password better.

That said, we're deep in a project to improve form-filling success overall, which should benefit all our browser extensions on both Mac and Windows platforms.

In Firefox (was 3.x, now 4.x) when I press CTRL+\ the popup shows (along the top) Lock, Logins, Credit Cards, Generator, Search. Well that's different! Where's my Identity info?

As documented in the "issues and features" thread at the top of this forum, only the Chrome extension (mostly ported from 1Password for Mac, because Chrome's cross-platform consistency makes that possible) includes Identity-info filling.

It all feels very inconsistent, and overall disappointing. While it looks good, at this stage, 1Password doesn't seem to hold a flame to Roboform, even though Roboform is hella ugly.

I wouldn't call it ugly. I'd say it has a more traditional Windows "look" than 1Password. We believe software can be beautiful, as well as functional, and we're dedicated to both aspects of 1Password.

I suppose my questions are;

Is this what I can expect on the Mac?
    Why is 1Password so inconsistent between browsers on Windows?
    Am I using it correctly, or is it just not working?

I hope I've answered all those question, Al. Please let us know if I've left out anything.

Thanks,

Al

Thanks so much for your feedback, Al, and for your patience!

I think you'll be very happy with 1Password for Mac, a much more mature product, and (if only eventually) with 1Password for Windows, too.
  • Lightwave
    Lightwave
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    Thank you both for your responses, and for reading my whole post and addressing all my points - very refreshing!

I will persevere with 1Password, and when I move to a Mac I'm sure either the Windows version will have improved almost immeasurably, or I will begin to enjoy the maturity of the Mac version.

With regard to failed logins, the Bet365 site was one example, but I do frequently come across JavaScript tweaked login forms that 1Password doesn't like. I will try manually saving the credentials prior to logging in on these sites and see if that fares any better. I do appreciate that JavaScript creates problems for applications like 1Password and Roboform. With Roboform, they do have a request feature I believe, whereby if you come across a URL that won't work, you can let them know and they'll fix Roboform in the next release for that particular login situation. On the positive side, 1Password works on www.betfair.com which can be a tricky one ;)

If I do wish to let you know of URLs where I'm having problems, how can I do this? Is there, or will there be a function through the application to do this automatically, or is there an online form or email address to use?

Hopefully the Chrome extension will allow manual saving of logins as things become more consistent on the Windows development side. I appreciate your explanations for the inconsistencies, and I hope everything falls in line in due course.

Also, thank you (DBrown) for the FAQ link; I'll read that forthwith.

I agree that the Roboform "one click serves all" aspect is convenient, but I appreciate the separate vaults in 1Password. I don't mind the extra clicks for login, identity and credit cards, but I do look forward to them all being available in all the browsers and working when I use them. These things will come with time.

You did indeed answer all my questions, thank you.

As I say, I'm happy to stick with 1Password, and I'm encouraged by the feedback in the forum, especially at a weekend. Hopefully, with an open two-way dialogue with customers, Agile will be able to make many worthy improvements to 1Password as it matures, although it sounds like you plan to already. I look forward to contributing and reaping the benefits alike.

My concerns aside - thank you for an otherwise great product!

Al,
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Lightwave wrote:

If I do wish to let you know of URLs where I'm having problems, how can I do this? Is there, or will there be a function through the application to do this automatically, or is there an online form or email address to use?

You can contact us here, in the support forums, or send e-mail to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

...I'm happy to stick with 1Password, and I'm encouraged by the feedback in the forum, especially at a weekend. Hopefully, with an open two-way dialogue with customers, Agile will be able to make many worthy improvements to 1Password as it matures, although it sounds like you plan to already. I look forward to contributing and reaping the benefits alike.

My concerns aside - thank you for an otherwise great product!

Al,

Thanks so much for the kind remarks, Al, and especially for your contribution to that process of improvement. Our customers are awesome!
This discussion has been closed.