Crashes after upgrade to 3.5.9

After upgrade (it said I was upgrading from 5 versions ago, but I'm sure I used to have v3 already) 1Password will now not open, it freezes while bouncing in the dock. Actually it will bounce forever.

I've tried reinstalling (download new app), same problem. Should I delete the application plist? where is that? If so will it delete my master password?

This is kind of urgent, as you can imagine.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, djehuty. I'm sorry that you are having this problem.

It sounds like your 1Password installation is damaged, which is keeping it from starting. This is likely also affecting browser integration. Let's try the latest beta version for you:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://aws.cachefly.net/aws/dmg/1PW3/English/1Password-3.6.0.BETA-2.zip
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

If you are still having trouble, can you please tell me which version of Mac OS X you are running? You can find this by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac."

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    I am seeing exactly the same behaviour: upgraded to 3.5.9, then when the application restarts, the dock icon bounces up and down for a long time, then stops bouncing. The application window appears but with no data or logins, just "empty shelves", and the application is impossible to use, with the "spinning beachball" every time I move over it. All that can be done is to force quit every time.

Frustrating! What to do?
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    So just tried downloading and installing the Beta and nothing changes: when trying to open 1Password, the icon bounces forever, the window appears with no data or logins listed, and the app is unusable. HELP!

10.6.7 machine here.
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    OK, finally managed to solve it by backing up all my settings in User>Library>Application Support>1Password, then totally trashing anything related to 1Password using Appzapper, then finding a download for 3.5.8, installing this, then restoring my backed-up settings. Phew, thank goodness! I thought I'd lost all my data!

3.5.9 didn't work on my machine, neither did the 3.6 Beta 2, 3.5.8 is working fine.
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    Spoke too soon... 3.5.8 now crashing all the time too... sigh, I give up! Time to find a new password manager!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    Welcome to the forums, pollycat. I'm sorry that you had that problem.

I'd love to resolve the issue for you. We wouldn't want you to stay on 3.5.8 forever.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    Hi there,

Thanks for the response.

Sorry to say, I can't generate a Diagnostic Report because I can't do anything within 1Password at all. When I launch the app, the icon bounces many times, then stops, the normal window appears but the application immediately stalls or crashes, with the spinning beachball, and I cannot click on it or access any of the menubar items at all (e.g. Help). I can see the 1Password window, but with no data on the "shelves", and I can see the menubar items (e.g. Help), but clicking on anything does nothing, it's just the spinning beachball right from the beginning. I've tried leaving it running to see if things eventually resolve themselves but they don't even after 20 minutes, so then I have to Force Quit.

Very frustrating.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    If you cannot run 1Password to generate the diagnostics report, you can do it manually using Apple's Terminal application (found in /Applications/Utilities/). Launch Terminal and paste this command into the resulting Terminal window and press RETURN.

ruby /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Scripts/diagnostics.rb

This should create a file called something like "1Password Troubleshooting.html" in the Folder Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Diagnostics.

"Home" is your own account's main folder. In the Finder's sidebar it's represented by an icon of a house with your account's name beside it. Choose the Troubleshooting file that was most recently updated if there are multiple files.
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    Thanks for your responses.

Sorry to say I can't send you the diagnosis report. Before hearing from you, in an effort to solve the problem, I completely deleted 3.5.8 and all 1Password data, then restored 3.5.3 and its accompanying "clean" data from a full-system backup I made a couple of weeks' ago. In doing this, I lost a couple of weeks' of passwords, but in return I now have a perfectly working 1Password again and most of my usual data back - yippee! :)

I've learned my lesson and won't upgrade again until what I use right now stops working, thanks for including the "ignore updates" feature!

Thanks for your help, problem solved.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like the issue was resolved but merely stuffed back. :S

I'd still love to see a Diagnostics Report to get to the root of the issue on your machine which I believe will only end up popping up again if it is not resolved. If everything is working well, you should be able to generate a Diagnostics Report from the Help > Troubleshooting menu.

I would love to resolve this for you once and for all. :-)
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    Sent.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks! We'll get back to you ASAP. :-)
  • I've run the diagnostics you sent in an email. I hope that helps. Meanwhile, no dice. I'm getting desperate, there are things I need in that file that I haven't had access to for two days now. I've tried the beta, doesn't help.

It's getting to be a disaster. Is there somewhere I can find 3.5.x? earlier versions? I'm sure you understand how frustrating this is.

khad wrote:

Please try the latest beta version:

It sounds like your 1Password installation is damaged, which is keeping it from starting. This is likely also affecting browser integration. Let's try the latest beta version for you:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://aws.cachefly.net/aws/dmg/1PW3/English/1Password-3.6.0.BETA-2.zip
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

If you are still having trouble, can you please tell me which version of Mac OS X you are running? You can find this by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac."

Thanks!
  • Ok, found the earlier versions. That didn't help. So it's not an issue with the new release, but a corrupted install somehow.

I've deleted the preference file... no help. Obviously I can't delete the keychain file, because if that's corrupted it's all pointless anyway. Any ideas?

djehuty wrote:

I've run the diagnostics you sent in an email. I hope that helps. Meanwhile, no dice. I'm getting desperate, there are things I need in that file that I haven't had access to for two days now. I've tried the beta, doesn't help.

It's getting to be a disaster. Is there somewhere I can find 3.5.x? earlier versions? I'm sure you understand how frustrating this is.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    We will follow up via email as soon as we can, but you can both try moving your 1Password preferences file to the desktop:

~/Library/Preferences/ws.agile.1Password.plist

There are a couple things in the DRs that suggest a corrupt preferences file and it certainly won't hurt to give it a try quickly.

• That didn't work last time, but this time it did! I have no idea what the difference could be...

khad wrote:

We will follow up via email as soon as we can, but you can both try moving your 1Password preferences file to the desktop:

~/Library/Preferences/ws.agile.1Password.plist

There are a couple things in the DRs that suggest a corrupt preferences file and it certainly won't hurt to give it a try quickly.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2011
    That didn't work last time, but this time it did! I have no idea what the difference could be...

It's hard to say for sure why it would not have worked before, but I sure am glad that it worked this time. :-)

Have you had similar success, pollycat?
  • pollycat
    pollycat
    Community Member
    Hi there, 3.5.3 is running smoothly for me here so no need to mess with anything like preferences files right now, but good to know this might be a solution down the line.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    It is certainly up to you but we have fixed hundreds of bugs and added a good number of features since 3.5.3. I think simply moving one file will resolve the issue quickly and easily. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Best regards,
  • I'm having similar problems, except after updating to 3.5.9 the 1password start screen shows and then it stops responding. I have tried to move the file ws.agile.1Password from the library, but it does not help. I have also tried to download the image file from your web page and reinstall it. Nothing helps...
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, punsk. I'm sorry that you are having trouble.

To help us track down the issue more quickly, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.

If you cannot run 1Password to generate the diagnostics report, you can do it manually using Apple's Terminal application (found in /Applications/Utilities/). Launch Terminal and paste this command into the resulting Terminal window and press RETURN.

ruby /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Scripts/diagnostics.rb

This should create a file called something like "1Password Troubleshooting.html" in the Folder Home > Library > Application Support > 1Password > Diagnostics.

"Home" is your own account's main folder. In the Finder's sidebar it's represented by an icon of a house with your account's name beside it. Choose the Troubleshooting file that was most recently updated if there are multiple files.

I look forward to resolving this for you.
  • Thomas L
    Thomas L
    Community Member
    I'm having the same problem, and it seems it has something to do with the browser extensions.

When I start 1password normally, with my old pref file, I get the bouncing icon in the dock. If I remove the pref file and start 1password, it helps me setting up a new installation, import all passwords from Dropbox. If I answer "yes" to the question if I want to use browser extensions, 1password hangs. If I answer "no", everything starts up normally. When 1password has started, and I try to enable browser extensions, 1password hangs again.

It seems, however, that 1password successfully installed the current Firefox 4 browser extension, since now, when I've started Firefox, the Add-ons page says that the plugin is at version 3.5.9.

One thought: when I start 1password and go into the preferences pane, I see both Firefox 3 and Firefox 4. No system has these two at the same time. Could this be the problem?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Thomas. Thanks for the additional information. I actually do have both Firefox 3 and Firefox 4 installed on my own machine (with no problems), but anything is possible. Could you follow my instructions above and send us your Diagnostics Report if you are having this trouble as well?

Thanks!
  • Thomas L
    Thomas L
    Community Member
    Actually, now when I try to reproduce the issue in order to make sure 1Password on my system doesn't work, I'm unable to do it. However, one thing I see now is that when I press the button to remove all extensions, 1Password hangs. That might be related.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, Thomas. Unfortunately, I was unable to find your Diagnostics Report in our inbox. If you sent the report from an email address which was not the one you used to sign up here in the forums, could you let me know what it was via private message? I would love to take a look at it for you and help resolve this. That is…if you are still having trouble. Is the only issue that 1Password "hangs" when you click the "Remove All Extensions" button or are you having other problems [still]?

Please let me know.

Cheers,
This discussion has been closed.