Sync problems with field names in IOS

MichielSprenger
MichielSprenger
Community Member

Hi, I recently acquired 1Password 4.
I converted my old stuff from my previous wallet manager software with reasonable success.
My configuration is:
2 PCs with 1Password on Windows 8.1 PRO
1 iPhone on IOS9
1 iPad with IOS9
1 iPhone with IOS 8.4.1

For proper use in my local situation I need some addition of fields and in some cases modification of field names in existing standard categories ( like Passport, Credit Card, etc).

I have a problem with the synchronisation of field names.
When changing the name of a standard field (which the PC version lets you do) this change is correctly synchronized with the other PC, but NOT with the IOS devices. The change is not visible in IOS. Moreover, when of this card someting else is modified on the IOS, upon next sync the changed field names onthe PC version are reset to their original value. I think this is a bug.

When adding new fields on PC sync seems to be correct. Changing field names on either side is sync-ed correctly.

A value your comments.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W8.1PRO, IOS8 and IOS9
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MichielSprenger: I hope you don't mind, but I'm moving this to the appropriate iOS category of the forums.

And I do apologize for the confusion. AgileKeychain was built before customization was introduced. As such, only custom section and field names are, well...fully customizable. Those which are part of the item template simply aren't designed to be customized. So if you want to customize section and field names, it's best to create new custom sections and fields separate from the template. This will have more flexibility once we migrate to the newer OPVault format. I hope this helps! :)

ref: OPI-349

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member

@brenty

OK, thanks for the quick answer.

First of all, 1PW is a Multi-platform solution, so I really did now know where to put this comment, since is has to do with sync between PC and IOS. Fine with me if you put it into IOS.

The work-around you suggest came to my mind as well, and I will use it for the time being. Thank you.

I just want to mention that I came form a solution that was beatifully flexible in this respect. I come from SPB Wallet namely. I had to leave this solution since it is obsolete and is no langer supported (since 2010 or so), so inbetween many things do not work there anymore, such as IOS sync, etc.
    But the beaty of SPB was the fully user definable and user editable templates. Which means, that the link between template and card is kept. So, when changing or adding a field in a template, all cards derived from that template are updated automatically.

In 1PW the template is used only once for the creation of a card, and it is cards that can be customized and not templates. Thus, when I want to add a field to all cards of a certain category I have to eddit all cards. This is for me a step backward!!

Of course I appreciate all other features of 1PW, but I would suggest you to look at how SPB works and try to learn from that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MichielSprenger: Thanks for the detailed feedback! Customizable templates is definitely something we're interested in doing, but I can't say for certain if and when this may come to pass. We're moving toward the new format which provides a lot more flexibility, but we're doing this slowly and cautiously as we have a lot of customers with a lot of data, and many folks are still using one or more devices with an older version. It's very helpful to get your perspective as a new user though, so please let us know if you have any other thoughts or suggestions! :chuffed:

• MichielSprenger
    MichielSprenger
    Community Member

@brenty : Thanks, I I will be closely looking at future features. Remember that customisation is needed, and not only translation. Some categories, like Driver's License for example, simply need other fields in my country than in USA or Canada.

I just converted 560 cards from SPB Wallet to 1PW, and I will clean up in the next weeks or so.. So, if I have any problems and or suggestions I will keep you posted!
    Thanks again.

:)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Definitely something we'd like to improve. And we're here if you need us! :)

This discussion has been closed.