Still uncertain how to proceed - I have looked through the info and downloaded the app onto an IPad

RobJ65
RobJ65
Community Member

OK, I haven't got time to look through all the information, I can see bits that are relevant but I'm not sure how to proceed.
My wife's a school teacher and I'm a project manager, my 2 children are at school.
I wand to have a family vault but with individual vaults
I have oodles of passwords for things, some not related to public websites and I'd like these to be in a vault of my own. I've seen that for websites there is some sort of list to associate passwords with but for other things I haven't seen anything yet.
My wife and I have lots of usernames and password for shared things e.g. some bank accounts, insurance etc. I'd like to put these in a common vault for my wife and I.
My wife would like a personal vault for herself.
My children, I would like them to have vaults where they can store various usernames and passwords that they use for school applications etc. but I need to have the ability to manage and assist them in an administrational way.

The iPad is a family thing, ultimately mine if it comes to having to allocate one person to it. If we all have independent vaults, how do different users access their vault on the shared iPad? I can't see that from what I've downloaded onto it.

My son and wife both have iPhones and Windows PC's so they'd need to share their vaults across these.
My daughter currently only has a Windows PC but it won't be long before she gets an iPhone too.
I have multiple Windows PC's, the iPad mentioned above and currently a Blackberry (personal) and a HTC android phone (work).

So, I want to know what the most economical solution is given the above 'use case'.
I will look into it a bit more later but I would appreciate your guidance as to whether it can be achieved, or to what extent, and at what cost.

Regards

Rob

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:family, kb:license-requirements, kb:educational-license

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RobJ65: If you're al using PCs, that part is easy: a single 1Password for Windows license entitles you and up to 5 family members living in the same household to use it on all of your PCs.

There is no 1Password for Blackberry, however.

1Password for Android and 1Password for iOS can get a bit more complicated, since they can only be purchased through the Google Play store and the iOS App Store respectively. As such, there is no way to 'bundle' or share these, and the purchase is tied to the store account you use (Google Account or Apple ID). Both apps are a free download, with an in-app purchase for Premium Features and Pro Features. These will be a separate purchase for each unique store account, since there's no way to share in-app purchases between accounts.

Regarding 1Password vaults, personally I put nearly any information that I want secure into 1Password. It keeps it safe, private, and actually makes it easier for me to find things. Each vault you create (whether this is personal, shared with your wife, or used by your kids) will have a Master Password used to encrypt the data. Anyone you give the vault and Master Password to can access the data contained within.

You can use Dropbox to sync your 1Password vault between your own devices (Windows and Android, for example), but also to share vaults between family members.

Ultimately 1Password works with a vault on the device itself, and this doesn't go anywhere unless you set it up that way. SO you can decide with whom you share any given vault (if at all). I hope this helps. I'll also send you a private message, so be sure to check for that and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• RobJ65
    RobJ65
    Community Member

Hi
    Having looked into the web site login capabilities, I see there are lots listed e.g. eBay, Amazon etc.
    We currently have a lot of banks, credit card and other sites where we have to enter security information.
    using Yorkshire bank, formerly Egg savings, there's a password safe that holds this info on the PCs - logging into this safe and then clicking on the link then logs you into the bank. This is what I thought 1pasword would do.

As uk based institutions e.g natwest bank, co-op bank, nationwide are not on the web sites listed then I'm presuming this automated log in cannot be done with 1password?

The solution of keeping all the log in information in a note and the referring to that note and manually copying or transferring that information to the banks web site is not as good a solution as we currently have.

I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Regards

Rob

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The solution of keeping all the log in information in a note and the referring to that note and manually copying or transferring that information to the banks web site is not as good a solution as we currently have.

@RobJ65: I can't think of a good reason to do that. I generally only use the Notes field for reference information — usually historical data or, quite literally, notes to myself for later. Obviously it's entirely up to you how you chose to organize things, but I find that I prefer to use custom sections and fields to keep smaller bits of information organized, such as security questions and answers that don't fit into the username/password paradigm.

Or I may be misunderstanding entirely. Let me know if that helps, or if you have any other observations, feedback, or questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.