OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:can i sore text document in a folder

Comments

• rmillard
    rmillard
    Community Member

I have 5 or 6 text financial files (Text Edit created). I need to
    secure them in a folder. Get to the rapidly. I have 2 empty folders created.
    Files are on my desktop.

• Hi @rmillard,

While you can add attachments to items in your 1Password vault there are certain conditions to be aware of.

1. You cannot attach a folder, you can only attach files. Now you can attach multiple files in one move but no folders.
    2. You cannot edit an item from within your vault. If you wish to edit an item you would need to save it to your Mac, edit and then first remove the old attachment before adding the new version. After this you would then need to remove the copy from your Mac.

I think a much better option for you in this case is what OS X calls an encrypted disk image. You may have come across disk images already, some sites use DMG files to allow users to download their application. You attach the DMG (a bit like plugging in a pen drive or inserting a CD) and as long as the disk image is set up as read/write you treat it just like a pen drive where you can store any files you wish.

Now we happen to develop an application called Knox which is a disk image manager. You can try it out and learn more from our Knox page. If you're good with OS X though check out OS X's provided Disk Utility as it can create encrypted, writable disk images.

• rmillard
    rmillard
    Community Member

I will look into Knox and encrypting files. I just found app called Stash. It might work. With you security experience
    I would think it a natural to add a secure folders Addition. Maybe Knoz does that - will investigate
    Thanks for the reply

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rmillard,

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're welcome!

I'd also like to mention another option that might work for you in this case. If the information you want to keep secure is in plain text, you may want to copy and paste each into a new Secure Note item within 1Password. These are easy to edit within 1Password, and you can then organize them with folders or tags, or even keep them in their own separate vault if you'd prefer.

This discussion has been closed.