using 1Password in pop-up window

split from "Disappointed"
I've recently discovered something I find a problem with 1Password - which I'll try and explain:

If I am logged into a website in my main browser window, and I click on a link which opens a popup for me to log into another website (so I have my main window logged into the original website, and on top the new popup with a website at a different URL), and to login to the site in the popup I try and use 1Password... it instead assumes I'm trying to log into the active tab in my browsers main window and only displays the domain for that tab. It doesn't show the login I have stored for the domain of the website in the popup, which is currently active and at the forefront.

Can this behaviour be fixed? I don't know if it's the same on the Mac version and therefore a longstanding feature, or if it's something that's been overlooked in the Windows version. Let me know what you think, or if you need any help replicating the issue.

Again, many thanks.

Al,

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Lightwave wrote:

If I am logged into a website in my main browser window, and I click on a link which opens a popup for me to log into another website (so I have my main window logged into the original website, and on top the new popup with a website at a different URL), and to login to the site in the popup I try and use 1Password... it instead assumes I'm trying to log into the active tab in my browsers main window and only displays the domain for that tab. It doesn't show the login I have stored for the domain of the website in the popup, which is currently active and at the forefront.

1. What URL are you seeing this?
    2. What 1Password version are you running?
    3. Do you happen to have reproducible steps?
    4. What web browser are you using? (IE or Firefox or Chrome)
  • Lightwave
    Lightwave
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it's completely reproducible. I'll try and talk you through it;

• Go to http://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing-betting (you can dismiss the JavaScript popover you get the first time you visit)
    • Click on any of the hyperlinked times for a race (preferably one that hasn't run yet today)
    • You should see a table of the horses running and all the bookmakers and their odds, if you scroll down a little. Click on one of the odds.
    • Oddschecker should now open a popup with the bookmaker you selected in a new browser window.

When you have this popup open, you should have Oddschecker as the active tab in your original browser window (in the background). The bookmaker you selected should be the active window in the popup.

Now, if you press CTRL+\ you should be prompted for the login to Oddschecker (if you've set one up) as the active tab in the original window.

That should reliably reproduce the issue. Is this something to do with the parent/child relationship of the browser and its popup? Perhaps 1Password only checks the parent window, and not the active child window/tab.

I only use Oddschecker in Chrome in Windows. My Firefox has popups disabled, and I haven't installed 1Password for IE as I never use it. But certainly in Chrome, this is the behaviour.

Thanks for checking, and let me know if you need more detail.

Al
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Confirmed. This problems appears to be isolated to our Chrome extension (IE and FF do not seem to have this problem).
  • Lightwave
    Lightwave
    Community Member
    Thanks Stefan. Something else I've noticed with the Chrome extension that I don't think is the case with IE or FF, is that you have to wait for a page to load before 1Password will allow CTRL+\ to form-fill.

Can you confirm?
  • dteare
    edited March 2011
    Lightwave wrote:

When you have this popup open, you should have Oddschecker as the active tab in your original browser window (in the background). The bookmaker you selected should be the active window in the popup.

You're right, it should use the active window. I've reproduced the issue and will try to find a solution.

Lightwave wrote:

Something else I've noticed with the Chrome extension that I don't think is the case with IE or FF, is that you have to wait for a page to load before 1Password will allow CTRL+\ to form-fill.

Right again! :)

I'm still experimenting with this and hope to find a way to make the keyboard shortcut work before the page finishes loading. We might have to wait for Chrome to provide a better solution to keyboard shortcuts in general, however. While it's not a great solution, if you have a really slow website you can use the mouse to open the window and it will work as expected.
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, Dave!
  • Lightwave
    Lightwave
    Community Member
    As ever, thanks for the responses! I will let you know if I discover any further quirks.
This discussion has been closed.