Spaces not accepted in password

Ashkashlitwin
Ashkashlitwin
Community Member

hey folks. When I try to make a new login entry, and I attempt to add a password with a space between two characters, the space is ignored. For example:
"Thisis AFake Password"
becomes:
"ThisisAFakePassword"

Are there any workarounds? Thanks!

I'm using the current version for iOS, on an iPhone 5s.

Comments

• sylocker
    sylocker
    Community Member

I have the same problem: iOS 8.4.1 on an iPhone 5S. It worked before, now it has stopped working. This is a serious problem.

• sylocker
    sylocker
    Community Member

I can confirm that this is a new bug. Spaces worked in 5.4.3, they no longer work in 5.5.

• Hi folks,

I'm very sorry for the trouble. I am able to reproduce this issue. I've left comments for our development team, and hopefully they will be able to find the source of the problem quickly.

Thank you.

Ben

ref: OPI-2911

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I don't know is this is helpful as a workaround, but if you create the login on the Mac version and use spaces in the password, it will sync to the iOS application with the spaces intact. Not a complete solution, for sure, but perhaps helpful while a permanent solution is found.

• Very true, hawkmoth. It also works if you save the login from 1Browser or the Safari extension. It appears to only affect the new login wizard from within the main app.

Ben

• sylocker
    sylocker
    Community Member

So is this going to be fixed?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

@sylocker - I'm fairly sure @bwoodruff answered you question when he said,

I'm very sorry for the trouble. I am able to reproduce this issue. I've left comments for our development team, and hopefully they will be able to find the source of the problem quickly.

• Ashkashlitwin
    Ashkashlitwin
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

Yes, do keep in mind software production cycles. The tiniest and easiest of fixes carry with them risk associated with the deployment of the new software patch. As such, even if the fix is done, they still need to generate the patch, test the patch, and then safely deploy it to all of their associated services. :p
    As this is probably a lower priority fix for the company as a whole (small number of customers impacted), as well as a functional workaround existing (updating it on the computer instead of phone), we will probably see a fix in their next bug-fix iOS patch.

• sylocker
    sylocker
    Community Member

I need a yes or a no.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@sylocker,

I'd feel confident it will be fixed, but please be patient as it might take more than a day.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Given AgileBits's encouragement for using Diceware pass phrases, it seems inconceivable that they won't fix this.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sylocker,

Our developers are working to get this fixed. I can't promise anything further than that, but we know it's important and we'll do what we can to have it resolved as soon as possible.

• sylocker
    sylocker
    Community Member

What's a Diceware pass phrase?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited August 2015

@sylocker - The recommendation to use Diceware to generate master passwords is about halfway through this AgileBits blog post. That post is an interesting read in its own right. It's also worth consulting the support page's discussion: Toward Better Master Passwords.

Briefly, the process involves rolling real dice (not a computer's pseudorandom number generator) to pick words at random from a published list. It is designed to keep human tendencies not to actually select random passwords at bay. Many users will use spaces between the words they choose for their master password. So the main reason I emphasized the likelihood of getting this fixed is related to this method for picking strong master passwords.

• konstantinovIvan
    konstantinovIvan
    Community Member

Sorry, but i have the same problem iP6. If the model is of some importance to you
    .I can not copy and paste a password also..I mean from other place. nothing happens. The App ist unusable
    I have patience. Тhanks

• Hi folks,

This is currently fixed in development, so after it is tested, submitted, and approved by Apple we should be able to get a new version that does not have this issue out to you. :)

Ben

• Ashkashlitwin
    Ashkashlitwin
    Community Member

Hooray! Thanks folks.

• You are very welcome. Thanks for taking the time to report the issue.

• rwcoates
    rwcoates
    Community Member

I'm still having trouble with this. I cannot enter spaces into login-type passwords. I'm running app v5.5 on iphone 5 running 8.3.

• Ashkashlitwin
    Ashkashlitwin
    Community Member

Hey rwcoates,

You need to update the app version to 6.0 or later to get the fix. I just tested it in my updated app and it works great.

• rwcoates
    rwcoates
    Community Member

Version 6 appears to require iOS 9, which I'm not prepared to upgrade to just yet. So the latest version for iOS 8 is broken!?

• Good morning, @rwcoates. I'm sorry for the trouble you're running into with spaces in your passwords. We fixed this issue in 1Password 6.0, which is a free update to 1Password 5.5. It does require iOS 9, however, so you'll need to update to that first in order to see this fix.

We also introduced the concept or wordlist (also known as diceware) password generation in 1Password, which is really quite cool. You can check out all of the stuff we added in 1Password 6.0 on our blog: https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/09/16/1password-6-for-ios-the-extreme-makeover-edition-is-here/

• rwcoates
    rwcoates
    Community Member

Thanks for the clarification @MrRooni. Guess I'll have to live with it until I upgrade iOS.

• Ashkashlitwin
    Ashkashlitwin
    Community Member

rwcoates, keep in mind until you decide to update to iOS9, you still have a viable workaround of entering/modifying the password on your computer's 1password version. As long as you have the vault synced between the two, it'll properly propagate to the iOS version, and remain until you try to edit it in iOS again.
    Does that help?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015

@rwcoates: Indeed. Just keep in mind that you'll need to unlock 1Password once with the "old" Master Password so everything can sync. After that, you'll be able to unlock using the new one.

But more importantly, if you're running iOS 8, you can run iOS 9. Now, you may not care particularly about the featureset, but if you're using 1Password you probably care about security, and iOS 9 contains too many security improvements to count — up to and including (or should I say "down to", at the most basic level) a new version of OpenSSL. So updating will be a huge benefit, simply from that perspective. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.