How to merge two databases

AuntyLou
AuntyLou
Community Member

Hi there. I failed to delete my trial AgileBits copy of 1Password before I bought a copy through the Apple store. Now I find that I have two databases and two applications in the Application folder. Some logins are the same in both databases but some are different. I would like to merge the two databases into one and delete the extra (AgileBits) copy of the software. I have set up syncing to iCloud but I have never synced to another device because it's too old to be compatible with the iOS version of 1Password. How should I go about merging the two files? Thanks.

Apple version of the software is 5.3. AgileBits version of the software is 5.3.2

1Password Version: 5.3 and 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.3.1
OS Version: OSX 10.3.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni

Hello, @AuntyLou! The easiest way to do this is to export your information from the AgileBits Store version of 1Password and import it into the Mac App Store version.

1. Completely quit 1Password. If the main app is running, use ^⌘Q. This will quit both the main app and 1Password mini. If the main app isn't running, you can use the Quit 1Password mini menu option in 1Password mini settings.
    2. Open 1Password 5 from /Applications.
    3. Use the File > Export > All Items menu option to export your items to the 1Pasword Interchange Format (.1pif). You will need to enter your Master Password to do this.
    4. Use ^⌘Q to quit 1Password 5 and 1Password mini.
    5. Open the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5, called simply 1Password, from /Applications.
    6. Use the File > Import menu option to import that 1PIF you recently exported.
    7. Once the import is complete, securely delete the 1PIF from your computer. It's an unencrypted text file, so you don't want to leave it lying around.

Please let us know if we can assist you further!

• AuntyLou
    AuntyLou
    Community Member

Hi Nik, thank you for those instructions. I'm sorry it's taken me a LONG time to get around to doing this. Tonight I had a go and I ran into trouble at step 6. When I selected the file to import (navigate to the file in the dialogue box and press "Open"), nothing happened. The window did not close or indicate any sort of activity. I tried pressing "Open" a few times but nothing happened. Then I tried to close the window by pressing "Cancel" and again, nothing happened. I could not close the window using any method and eventually I had to Quit the whole program in order to do so. What do you think I am doing wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @AuntyLou ,

There is a bug in 1Password with those buttons on the import dialog. Use the Enter key for Open and the Escape key for Cancel. This big has been fixed in the beta release.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AuntyLou,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! As MrC said, that's a small bug in the current release version of 1Password, and has been fixed in a recent beta. Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next update (although I don't have a timeframe for when that will be available). For now, you should be able to use the esc key for Cancel, or the return key for Open.

If you need anything else, just let us know. We're always happy to help! :)

• AuntyLou
    AuntyLou
    Community Member

Thank you @Drew_AG and @MrC . That worked perfectly. Don't know why I didn't think of that! :p Thank you for responding so quickly.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@AuntyLou,

"Don't know why I didn't think of that"

Because you're just a Cat afterall ! Meow.

• AuntyLou
    AuntyLou
    Community Member

@MrC,

"Because you're just a Cat afterall ! Meow."

LOL!!

• :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.