I cannot sync over wifi between my iPhone 6 and Windows 7 computer.

Options
l_jones
l_jones
Community Member

The computer does not appear in the sync window on the iPhone. I am connected to the same wifi network on both devices, and I have opened the Wi-Fi Sync window on the computer. Could the firewall be blocking the connection?

1Password Version: 6.01 (iOS); 4.6.0.586 (Windows)
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 9.0.1 (iOS); Windows 7 (computer)
Sync Type: Wi-Fi
Referrer: kb:switch-to-wifi

Comments

• l_jones
    l_jones
    Community Member
    Options

I just turned Wi-Fi off and on again on both devices, but that did not help. Then I restarted both devices, but that did not help either. I am stumped.

• l_jones
    l_jones
    Community Member
    Options

I also have clicked the Refresh List button the Sync screen on the phone, but the computer still does not appear.

• l_jones
    l_jones
    Community Member
    Options

My system administrator will not permit me to create an ad-hoc wireless network, so that will not be a workaround that I can use.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@l_jones: Yikes! it sounds like you're running out of options here. If you're not allowed to use an ad-hoc network (primarily useful for troubleshooting purposes), it's likely that you won't be allowed to make other necessary changes to the network configuration to allow 1Password to communicate using Bonjour in order to connect and transfer your data. Unless that traffic is getting through, you will continue seeing what you've been seeing: your devices unable to see each other.

It is important to remember that there is a lot that can go wrong with Wi-Fi in general (as I am sure we all know from experience!) It depends on every link in the chain, and the weakest can always cause it to break. I know you've probably tried some of these steps already, but I want to make sure that we account for every point of failure this time. Please try each of the following:

1. Reset device Wi-Fi (both devices)
    2. Restart OS (both devices)
    3. Soft-reset router (if possible)
    4. Hard-reset router
    5. Reset sync settings (both devices)
    6. Forget the Wi-Fi network and reconnect
    7. Disable software firewall
    8. Disable security software
    9. If security or firewall software turns out to be the issue, turning it back on and setting an exception for the traffic may work, provided that is an option.*

*You'll need to open UDP port 5353 for both outbound and inbound traffic, which is the port that Bonjour (Apple's zeroconfig implementation) uses for connecting available services on the network.

Keep in mind that you may need to set this up in your router as well if it is blocking traffic, but generally that won't be the case.

So a good place to start is your Windows Firewall settings:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Go to System and Security
    3. Select Windows Firewall
    4. In the Windows Firewall window, choose "Advanced Settings"
    5. In the left pane, select "Inbound Rules" (you may see several 1Password entries)
    6. Select any with a status of "Block", select "Properties", "Allow the connection", and then click "OK"
    7. Repeat for all 1Password (or Bonjour) "Block" entries
    8. Follow the 1Password WiFi Sync instructions

And finally, if your Wi-Fi setup is simply not conducive to syncing, you can use Dropbox Sync instead, which tends to work better since they handle all the heavy lifting, rather than depending on your network configuration.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.