Stupid scenario changing passwords at Authorize.net

Options
jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member

This is a stupid situation. I have had trouble changing passwords at Authrorize.net ever since I started using 1Password. Even though I try to be careful, I make mistakes and fall into the trap, where I have to do a couple of password resets each time. It is not necessarily 1Passord's fault, but it seems it could be easier.

Here is what just happened:

1. I know this site is problematic to change passwords, so I am on the alert. They have several issues that are on their side, such as allowing a password to be chosen and accepted, but then later will not be allowed to login because it has "printer control characters". Trying with the wrong password locks the account and requires call to customer support. So the procedure which should be easy is difficult.
  2. I use the Password generator to create a new password. Just another annoyance and not part of what I am reporting today but is background.
  3. I request "fill".
  4. There are 3 fields to fill: original password, new password, new password confirmation.
  5. 1P fills all three with the new password.
  6. I know this will cause problems so I get the old password from 1P and put it in.
  7. I submit the form.
  8. Password change is accepted.
  9. 1P does not update the password in its login record.
  10. "No problem" says I. I can get it from the clipboard.
  11. Alas, the clipboard has the original password due to my method of copying it in.

Result: a successfully changed password that I have no record of.

Start over again with password reset request.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• @jasimon9 This does sound quite frustrating. It's difficult for 1Password to determine that the "original password" field is different than the "new password" one. You may benefit from my method of changing a password, which is similar to what you did, but there are some tweaks. I also use CopyClip to make sure I don't lose things in my clipboard (believe me, it will save your life so many times). That way I can quickly grab something I replaced in the clipboard.

However, to make changing a password easier in the future, I would recommend these steps:

1. Copy the current password from 1Password
    2. Paste that password in the current password field
    3. Generate a new password and copy it to your clipboard by clicking the down arrow beside Fill and selecting Copy
    4. Paste the new password into the new field and its verification field, then submit your changes
    5. Paste the new password in 1Password and save it

Does that help? If there's a better way, one of the support Jedi will likely have it. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @jasimon9,

I'm sorry you've been having trouble changing/updating a Login password! The suggestion from @penderworth will work of course, but I also wanted to explain that you haven't actually lost any of your generated passwords. When you click the Fill (or Copy) button in the Password Generator in 1Password mini, that creates a new Password item in 1Password. This serves as a safety net for situations just like the one you described. Simply open the main 1Password app, click on the Passwords category on the left sidebar, and you should have a new item for the new password you generated (you can sort the list by Date Created if it helps). From there, you can copy/paste the new password into your Login item for that site. We have more information here: How can I recover an unsaved password?

Now, there's another issue here, which is that you aren't being prompted by 1Password to update your Login item when you change your password on that site. It's possible that 1Password simply isn't able to detect the password change on that particular web form, which happens on some sites. But it's also possible that you've encountered a specific bug in the current version of the 1Password extension, which prevents it from prompting you to update a Login item when it should. I'm very sorry for the inconvenience!

That bug has been fixed in the latest 1Password extension beta, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, the fix should be included in the next regular update for the extension. I don't have a timeframe for that, but in the meantime, if you'd like to install the beta extension, just follow these steps:

If you don't want to install the beta extension, there's another workaround: Instead of clicking the Fill button in the password generator, you can highlight the generated password and then copy & paste it into the change password form. When you submit that form, 1Password should prompt you to update the Login item.

Sorry for the inconvenience and confusion about all this! Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you need anything else. Thanks!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the detailed help, penderworth and Drew_AG. It is really a procedural thing, mostly, and can be worked around. Just thought you might benefit from the input.

Regarding the password items -- yeah, I always forget about those!

• I'm with @jasimon9 haha. I keep forgetting Passwords is another category with fun stuff in it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the detailed help, penderworth and Drew_AG. It is really a procedural thing, mostly, and can be worked around. Just thought you might benefit from the input.

@jasimon9: We absolutely benefit from this kind of feedback! Thank you! Unfortunately it's a complex problem to solve, what with so many websites out there (signup and password change forms are even less standardized than login forms!) but we'll keep working at it! :chuffed:

Regarding the password items -- yeah, I always forget about those!

And of course Password items are something we're meant to be able to forget about unless or until we need this particular safety net...and then we're glad that it's there! Cheers! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.