1Password- Preferences- Browser-"Automatically submit logins after filling,not checked

Options
michael_snapinn
michael_snapinn
Community Member

The setting in 1password-Preferences -Browser(first item) "Automatically submit logins after filling", is not checked. the 1Password instructions indicates it is enabled by default, so I am expecting to see a check in the associated box. If I click the subject empty box, to place a checkmark for this item, it automatically opens a blank finder window which in the lower right highlights " select Script Folder". What is this setting and why can't I just check the box if it is enabled by default.

1Password Version: Version 5.3(530029) mac app store
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: osx10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:! passwor-Preferences- browser -"Automatically submit logins after filling", not checked

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @michael_snapinn,

I apologise. The reason you're experiencing this odd behaviour requires a bit of an explanation.

The way we submit a form is to place focus on one of the fields that we filled and mimic the user pressing the enter key. This works because it's very rare to see a page that doesn't allow you to press enter after you've filled in your username and password. Sure there is the button but interacting with buttons is actually devilishly tricky while pressing enter on the correct field is normally very reliable. We achieve this by using a single line of AppleScript that pretty much says "OS X, pretend I've pressed the enter key please". So far all very reasonable and it works pretty well. We store this file in ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ but the Mac App Store version of 1Password isn't allowed to write there directly due to sandboxing. So our workaround was to open the Finder window titled select Script File because if you authorise 1Password to create the required AppleScript file via this Finder window that's okay. It's fair to say that it needs work as you didn't understand what it was asking or why.

When the Finder window opened, did it open in a Folder titled 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper? If it did then clicking the Open button should allow 1Password to create 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt.

If the folder that the Finder window opens up to isn't ~/Library/Application Scripts/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/ then it gets a bit more tricky as be default OS X doesn't want you looking in your Library folder at all. In this case the steps I outlined in this post should set you right and allow 1Password to create the required file in the right place. Now you should only have to do this once and never return to it. Please do let us know how you get along and if you need any further assistance we'll certainly work with you.

• michael_snapinn
    michael_snapinn
    Community Member
    Options

After clicking the box in 1password preference browser "Automatically submit logins after filling" the new finder window does open in a folder titled 23BUA8C452C.com.agile. Before I click "open" at the top of the finder window I would appreciate if you could simply explain the features and benefits of applying the folders's software.
    I have been a 1password user for approximately 2 years and I can't fully understand what what opening this folder does.
    Thanks
    Mike Snapinn

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @michael_snapinn,

The Open button is the standard button for this window but the term in this case is misleading. What clicking open will do is authorise 1Password to write the 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt file to this location. As the Mac App Store version is sandboxed it isn't allowed to do this itself, it requires the user to allow it. The AgileBits Store version creates and writes this file too, the difference is our AgileBits Store is not sandboxed and can do so as part of the first run setup without user intervention.

Our submit feature relies on the this file which is why 1Password keeps deactivating the option. Without the file we cannot mimic pressing the return key. If it helps at all this is the entire contents of the file we're trying to write to disk.

--This simple script allows 1Password
    --to perform autosubmit by pressing the return key on your behalf
    tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

The first two lines are just comments, the only command is the third line where we tell OS X to mimic pressing the return key.

Does this help?

• michael_snapinn
    michael_snapinn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for providing a complete and fully understandable answer to my question.
    The only remaining issue I have is as follows;
    If I choose to activate the 1Password Autosubmit.scpt, will this feature in any way degrade the security of my computer, as it will bypass apple's sandboxing requirements for an installed App?
    Thank you, for your excellent feedback and I would like to take this opportunity to to state that I use 1password everyday and consider it one of the best software applications I have on my iMac.
    Regards
    Mike Snapinn

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @michael_snapinn,

On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're very welcome! I'm glad his information was helpful for you - I often learn new things from his messages too. :)

To answer your question, the Autosubmit script won't make your Mac any less secure. As littlebobbytables mentioned, the AgileBits Store version of 1Password installs that script automatically, without any user intervention at all. We would never do something like that if we felt it would compromise your security! The Mac App Store version of 1Password can't install it automatically due to the sandboxing restrictions, but that doesn't make it less secure - it just means it takes a couple extra steps to install that script. It's a good question though, and I'm glad you're thinking strongly about security!

Thank you, for your excellent feedback and I would like to take this opportunity to to state that I use 1password everyday and consider it one of the best software applications I have on my iMac.

Wow, thank you so much for your kind words! We do love our work and our customers and we hope that it shows. :) If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know!

This discussion has been closed.