I was thinking...Is this possible?

Options
brucenye
brucenye
Community Member

I'm new to 1Password, but not to password managers in general. The one big issue (for any password manager) when working on iPad/iPhone is having to switch back and forth to copy a password and paste it in an app for login. Yuck!

I realize the some apps have 1Password support but most are obscure, at least to me, and the list is very small. So it got me thinking, is there any tricky method to support login to any app, regardless of 1Password support?

So here is my idea/suggestion. Maybe this has already been considered and its just not feasible. I realize that all but the active app are sent to background. So I'm not sure of the logistics. Like, do apps use standardized fields for username/password? Can 1P "look" to see what is swapped out to background? Can 1P capture/insert information needed? blah, blah....

Anyway...

• Have some sort of method to "notify" 1P that I'm logging into a new app.
  • capture the icon image of the app and store that in 1P.
  • use that to store 1P login information.
  • Basically, use the app icon instead of the URL.

Hey! Just a thought. You guys work out the details. :)

Still learning but like it much better than what I was using.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The one big issue (for any password manager) when working on iPad/iPhone is having to switch back and forth to copy a password and paste it in an app for login. Yuck!

@brucenye: Agreed! It's certainly a challenge — both for users and developers! :dizzy:

So it got me thinking, is there any tricky method to support login to any app, regardless of 1Password support?

This probably is't what you had in mind, but in most cases copy and paste will work. Unfortunately some apps block even that. And of course this is less secure and less convenient. :angry:

Now, if you're using a recent iPad and iOS 9, Slide Over is pretty awesome:

Quick Tip: 1Password 6 and Slide Over

But unfortunately that isn't available everywhere, depending on your device.

Like, do apps use standardized fields for username/password? Can 1P "look" to see what is swapped out to background? Can 1P capture/insert information needed? blah, blah....

This is a really cool suggestion...but (un)fortunately this is impossible. iOS has a really awesome security model which all of us benefit from, but this means that apps simply can't interact with each other directly at all. That's where extensions come in: it's as close as one app can get to 'touching' another, and even then they are heavily sandboxed. There are only certain things they can do, and all of this is facilitated by the OS itself; so while it looks like 1Password can integrate with some apps, it is really just offering itself to the OS, and then the OS can pass on data from it to apps that opt-in. It's the only option.

So the best thing to do is let the developers of your favourite apps know that you'd like them to add support for the 1Password extension. We have all the information they'll need on our site, including how to get in touch if they need any help making your life a little bit easier:

1Password extension for developers

The list of apps that support the 1Password iOS extension is growing all the time, and we're always happy to help other developers add it. :chuffed:

• brucenye
    brucenye
    Community Member
    Options

Brenty,

Thank you.

I had done some past research and I thought what you said was the case. In fact, that is what I like about Apple. But I appreciate your validation.

Keep up the good work.

To briefly change the subject, I'm watching the Lounge thread regarding 1PasswordAnywhere. I hope there will be a solution since I also would like access away from home. Currently I will probably use my iPhone->copy->paste to notes->pick up notes in my browser (my email account supports notes). Not secure but somewhat easy.

Bruce

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @brucenye,

I'm glad to see that Brenty's post helped. We're here if you have any further questions or concerns. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

To briefly change the subject, I'm watching the Lounge thread regarding 1PasswordAnywhere. I hope there will be a solution since I also would like access away from home. Currently I will probably use my iPhone->copy->paste to notes->pick up notes in my browser (my email account supports notes). Not secure but somewhat easy.

@brucenye: That's exactly what I use 1Password for on my iPhone and iPad. Did you maybe have something else in mind? If you can be more specific about what you're trying to do, I'll see if I can offer some helpful suggestions! :pirate:

This discussion has been closed.