Bug Snag 2FA not working with 1P

Options
gdhnz
gdhnz
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

When trying to setup 2FA in Bugsnag (http://bugsnag.com), the QR code scans OK in 1Password for iOS and Mac but when you then have to verify the code, it fails.

Scanning the QR in Authy and then verifying works as expected.

1Password Version: 6.0.1 (iOS) and 5.3 (Mac)
Extension Version: 4.5.0b1 (Mac)
OS Version: iOS9 (and OS X 10.11)
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:bugsnag

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gdhnz: Sorry for the confusion! Using 1Password to generate a TOTP absolutely requires the date and time to be correct on your device. After all, the first T in TOTP is for Time. ;)

I believe that Authy uses some clever tricks to work around this in case the system time is wrong, but you'll need to correct it for 1Password to generate valid codes for you since it's busy doing other things other than compensating for your clock. Please let me know what you find! :)

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

It's across 2 devices (Mac and iPhone) and all my other 1P TOTPs work fine for Github, Google, Dropbox, etc.

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

Also, both my devices are setting date and time automatically.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, both my devices are setting date and time automatically.

@gdhnz: I believe it! But it doesn't sound like you're actually checking the date and time. You'll either have to force an update or set them manually, because if they are even slightly off it will result in codes from the past or the future being generated. And not all services are as lenient with the TOTP window. You can also see this thread for more discussion on this topic, but this is a known issue with Apple's automatic date and time settings.

• gdhnz
    gdhnz
    Community Member
    Options

It seems to be a bug in iOS9 in that my clock is gaining time. Disabling the automatic time and manually setting it and the 2FA has worked successfully. No idea why I was having the issue on my mac but probably related to iCloud syncing.

• We have heard other reports of time drifting on iOS 9, so hopefully that'll be something that can be fixed in an update in the near future.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.