Safari extension gone and deleted

Options
Goshmir
Goshmir
Community Member

I am a longtime user of 1P (5.3), and it is almost perfect. The Safari browser extension does not seem to work properly. After downloading and installing (the download-file is then deleted from the download folder). The icon appears as expected and is mentioned in the Extensions list. But... after closing Safari and restarting, the icon is gone and not only inactive but gone in the extensions list as well. So it seems is it deleted.
I'd like to use Safari as my preferred browser, but since 1P is essential, I have to use Chrome of Firefox.

BTW, 1P 5.3 also compatible with OSX 10.11 ?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @Goshmir,

The most likely cause for an extension disappearing from Safari after it has been installed is if the extension database has suffered some damage. We don't know the specifics but in almost all cases we've come across reseting the Safari Extension database resolves this although it does mean you will have to install of your extensions again (sorry). Here is how to reset the extension database.

Wiping Safari's extensions

To start make sure Safari is not opened.

Preference plist

1. Open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted file to your Trash.

Extension files

1. Like above, open a Finder window and use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to the folder window.
    2. Use the following location ~/Library/Safari/Extensions/ and click the Go button.
    3. Drag the highlighted folder to your Trash.

Safari Extensions List

1. Launch Keychain Access which you can find in /Applications/Utilities/.
    2. Search on the word safari and you should have 3 entries in the results.
    3. You want to right click on Safari Extensions List and select the Delete "Safari Extensions List" option.

After all of that reboot your Mac and you'll need to go through the steps of installing your extensions again. With a little luck whatever got messed up was in there and the 1Password extension will now properly load

Let us know how you get along.

To answer your other query, we are aware of a blip affecting some users when they move to El Capitan but this is quite specific and easy to correct. As far as 1Password goes, we're unaware of any El Capitan specific bugs that affect the running of 1Password. The blip I mentioned is to do with 1Password being quarantined and the quarantine flag not being properly removed. For a bit more on this, this recent thread should prove informative. We don't expect any major problems for our users :smile:

• Goshmir
    Goshmir
    Community Member
    Options

Great, I think that did the trick, thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you're most welcome! It sounds like you should be all set, but we're here if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.