New to 1Pass setup

Options
fixmacs
fixmacs
Community Member

I am a computer home-office consultant. I use 1Pass but I find it extremely difficult to convince my clients to use your app because it's extremely difficult to install and setup. I am going through hell with a new setup now for a client. Said client has used Mac Safari password save in the past. I am having the client log into the websites manually and changing the passwords to stronger passwords using the 1Pass password generator. From there onwards it's a huge mess. 1Pass saves the location of the login as the password change url, not the login url. I have not been able to find any way to get the 1pass to work with the New York Times log in. After changing the password manually. the 1pass app never can log in to the NYT and no amount of fooling around with editing the 1Pass login url fixes it. Client cannot log in to the NYT, the SF Chronicle and dozens of other sites, all of which have funny login pop-up windows or pulldown menus. I am desperate. How can client use 1pass to generate a strong password, tell 1pass to save it, and then how do we tell 1pass to use the login credentials at the login url? Thanks.

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: latest
OS Version: latest
Sync Type: don't know
Referrer: kb:fix-website-login

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fixmacs: Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, and browser versions you're using (if you're using 1Password for Mac, it isn't version 6!), the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action.

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, you mention a few sites, but without the URLs for the specific login pages you're struggling with we're really just guessing. If you can provide those, we can test them and suggest solutions, offer workarounds, or find ways to improve 1Password in the future — which will benefit you and your clients!

Often simply manually saving the login will save additional information that will allow 1Password to work; just be sure you do so at the login form you want 1Password to return to every time you use that account. I find that the best way to get set up with 1Password and not get overwhelmed is to start by simply logging into sites as you use them normally and save each login then. Later on you can go and update each website and the corresponding login in 1Password with a long, strong, random password. Trying to do all of this at once is kind of overkill, and if you save the login normally to begin with, 1Password will already have the URL you want, rather than the 'password change' page you go to later to update it.

Please let me know what you find. Thanks in advance! :)

This discussion has been closed.