Forgot master pw. To start over, I bought new 1PW download @ AppStore. Cannot create NEW master pew

Options
Miwoowa
Miwoowa
Community Member

On new MacBook, I was creating a new master pw before migrating 1PW from old Mac. I forgot it. Tried to create new vault. Read that the only choice was to start over. Old Mac had Agile software. I deleted all the files that I could find for 1PW 5. Then, I bought 1PW download from the App Store. I could not create a new master PW, it was still asking for the old PW. Please advise.

1Password Version: 5.3 Mac Store new/old 5.3.2 Agile
Extension Version: 4.4.3 Agile (new Mac not enabled)
OS Version: OS 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Forgot master pw. Bought new 1PW download @ App Store. Cannot create NEW pw or vault.

Comments

• Miwoowa
    Miwoowa
    Community Member
    Options

Sync type: Dropbox

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

To start over, follow these directions: How do I start over with an empty vault?

You will not be able to regain access to your older data, though.

And I don't think you needed to buy a new license to make this all happen.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Miwoowa,

The steps from the link in hawkmoth's message should help you reset 1Password & start over. It sounds like you've tried using both the AgileBits Store version and Mac App Store version of 1Password, so you'll probably need to follow the steps to remove data for both of those in the starting over steps.

If I understand, it sounds like you forgot the new master password you created when you installed on the new Mac, but you're still able to unlock your 1Password vault on your old Mac with the old master password. Is that right? If so, you only need to follow the steps to start over on the new Mac. As long as you have all your 1Password data on your old Mac and can still access that, it doesn't sound like you'll lose any of your data.

Hopefully it all goes well, but we're here for you if you have more questions about that. :)

• Miwoowa
    Miwoowa
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Drew_AG: Gratefully giving notice that following these steps worked! All the passwords from the old Mac migrated to the new Mac. This app is so marvelous and I am a loyal supporter. Never gave up that there was a solution. Thank you soooo much! :p

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @Miwoowa! I'm glad that worked, and that you have all your data on the new Mac now. Thank you so much for the kind words, we truly enjoy hearing how much our customers love 1Password. We want you to enjoy using it as much as we love making & supporting it! :)

This discussion has been closed.