Do I need to uninstall 1Password3 to upgrade to 1Password5 on Yosemite?

Options
Brenda_Zoelee
Brenda_Zoelee
Community Member

I have 1Password ver 3.8.22 (build 32010) on my MacBookPro (OS 10.7.5) and transferred it to my new MacBookPro (OS 10.10.5). When I opened 1Password 3 and selected 'Check for Updates' it replied that I was up to date. I figured this was an error and downloaded 1Password 5 ver 5.3.2. Now I have both versions on my computer. 1Password3 is looking for my data (I have no clue what the file name would be) and 1Password5 is the trial version wanting my license. Before I try to figure out how to get my 1Password3 data over to 1Password 5 I figured I better get the application issue cleared up.

Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Brenda_Zoelee,

I'm sorry you're running into some trouble getting 1Password up and running on your new MacBook Pro! I'm sure we can help to get things sorted out for you.

I have 1Password ver 3.8.22 (build 32010) on my MacBookPro (OS 10.7.5) and transferred it to my new MacBookPro (OS 10.10.5).

Did you copy just the 1Password.app file? If so, that's just the app file itself - your data is stored in another location. If you had been syncing 1Password with Dropbox on your old Mac, it's very easy to get that data to your new Mac: Just install/set up Dropbox on your new Mac and allow it to download all your Dropbox files, then find your .agilekeychain file in Dropbox and drag it to 1Password 3 (you can also choose to sync with that file when setting up 1Password 5).

If you hadn't been syncing with Dropbox, open 1Password 3 on the old Mac and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences, then select the General tab. The field under "Data File" will show you where you can find the .agilekeychain file that has your data. You'll need to copy that to your new Mac (that's the file 1Password 3 is looking for).

When I opened 1Password 3 and selected 'Check for Updates' it replied that I was up to date.

The most recent free update for 1Password 3 for Mac was 3.8.22, which is why it says it's up to date (newer versions are installed separately from version 3). Sorry for the confusion about that!

I figured this was an error and downloaded 1Password 5 ver 5.3.2. Now I have both versions on my computer.

No problem! 1Password 5 for Mac is our latest version, and requires Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan). 1Password 3 is an older version and hasn't been updated in quite some time now, although it should generally still work on OS 10.10.5. It's ok to have versions 3 and 5 installed on your Mac at the same time, although once you decide which version to continue using (more on that below), you'll probably want to delete the other one to avoid confusion.

1Password5 is the trial version wanting my license.

If you bought your 1Password 3 for Mac license in 2013 or later, 1Password 5 for Mac is a free upgrade. Otherwise, version 5 is a paid upgrade from version 3. If you're not sure, you can go to this site and follow the steps in the "I've lost my license" section at the top to have your license resent to your email. That email will show you which version(s) of 1Password for Mac you have a license for.

If you don't have a license for 1Password 5 for Mac but would like to upgrade, we do offer an upgrade discount - simply visit our Upgrade Store and enter your license code for version 3 to see your upgrade discount and license options.

Does this help? Let us know how it all goes. If you need more help with the license or with getting your 1Password data from your old Mac to your new Mac, we'll be happy to continue helping you with that. :)

This discussion has been closed.