Installed 1Password extension & now unable to open new Safari page except thru a link

Options
NwaCa
NwaCa
Community Member

I downloaded and installed 1Password Extension today. Immediately after installing extension, I could no longer open a new Safari window unless other than Top Sites unless i utilized a link. Does anyone have a solution, or can you tell me how to uninstall the extension without uninstalling 1Password to see if the extension is the problem?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.2.2
OS Version: OSX 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Install 1Password extension & now unable to open new Safari page without link

Comments

• @NwaCa You're not able to open a new Safari window by clicking File > New Window? If so, it'd be worth uninstalling the extension to see if it may be causing the issue. Here's how to do that:

1. Click Safari in the menu bar
    2. Click Preferences
    3. Click the Extensions tab
    4. Select 1Password
    5. Click Uninstall and click Uninstall to confirm

Let me know how that goes! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@penderworth: That's probably a good idea since you seem to have an old version of the 1Password extension for some reason. Be sure to restart your Mac and verify that Safari is working correctly, and then reinstall the 1Password extension from our site:

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• NwaCa
    NwaCa
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the help. After uninstalling the 1Password extension, I am still not able to open any window other than the TOP SITES window unless I do it through a link. Once a window is opened through a link, I cannot alter the address. Before my problem I remember seeing on a MAC forum someone having a similar problem and he eventually got Safari to work.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NwaCa: Very strange. Do you have better luck if you set Safari Preferences > General > Open new tabs with empty page instead? I guess I'm not sure what this has to do with the 1Password extension, especially since it happens without it installed. Perhaps it's simply a Safari bug that will be addressed in the impending release of 10.11. Otherwise it may be best to contact Apple. Please let me know what you find!

• NwaCa
    NwaCa
    Community Member
    Options

I researched Apple Support & found "Safari has been not responding" Followed steps to remove Safari plist and saved application state files and then restarted Mac. This resolved the Safari problem. I then reinstalled the 1Password extension and both Safari and 1Password is working great.

Thank you for your interest and assistance.

One last question. Is 1Password compatible with El Capitan?

• @NwaCa Glad you got things working in Safari. :)

One last question. Is 1Password compatible with El Capitan?

It is indeed compatible! Let us know if you have any questions about things, and be sure to keep your vaults backed up and synced when updating. ;)

This discussion has been closed.