synchronization across multiple systems

Options
Przema
Przema
Community Member

Hello

I use 1Password on OSX 10.11, iOS 9.0.2 andWindows 8.1.

My problem is that I no longer use the Dropbox to sync - I change to iCloud.

In the above operating systems you are using a different politics of synchronization:

• OSX 10: - there is an option folder - here pointed out that with iCloud
  • IOS 9:
    - here for the main vault iCloud - I hope foldry searches and finds the appropriate files ?
    - for extra vault is only a Dropbox - the question why?

• Windows 8.1: - here you can specify a folder - here pointed out that with iCloud

Can you unify is possible ?

Another problem is that client for Windows iCloud doesn't sync 1Password files - why (I tested on 2 different computers running Windows 8.1.) ?

TXH

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Another problem is that client for Windows iCloud doesn't sync 1Password files - why (I tested on 2 different computers running Windows 8.1.) ?

Apple does not permit using iCloud for syncing for any application they do not sell themselves from one of their App Stores. Obviously, Windows applications are not sold by Apple, so developers of Window applications (including 1Password) are not allowed access to iCloud. Unless Apple changes that policy, users of Windows or Android versions will not be able to use 1Cloud for syncing.

So, users who want a cloud sync solution and who use non-Apple platforms must use Dropbox. This is not because AgileBits prefers it that way; it is Apple policy and that policy affect all developers.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Przema: Indeed. Apple has indicated that this may change in the future, but for now iCloud Sync is not available for Windows (or Android) users. If it were up to us, I think it would be simplest for both ourselves and our customers to offer the same options everywhere, so here's hoping! :)

• Przema
    Przema
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification although it does not explain all the issues that I raised.

In OSX 10 - there is an option folder and the folder that synchronize OK. Today no :( 1Password crash when when I choose preferences (I send reports), when I restart system all is ok - interesting :).

Why not have this option in iOS?

In OSX on iCloud I created directory and there copy the files 1Password. I see them on iOS and Windows does not synchronize - why?

In iOS 9 I have a choice in the main vault iCloud, Dropbox. Next vault do not have this option only Dorpbox - why??????

What about the other clouds? Maybe Google?
    Am I doomed a Dropbox with multiple platforms?

You know I have Office 365 and Microsoft cloud.
    I have Apple's iCloud due to the device that they have.
    Now comes Dropbox ... a bit much these clouds.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Which option are you asking about? There are features that AgileBits has not yet implemented in the iOS version. Some may never come. But AgileBits people won't discuss what features will come to a particular version or the timeline for when they may arrive. That's company policy. It keeps them from making promises that could end up being impossible to fulfill.

In OSX on iCloud I created directory and there copy the files 1Password. I see them on iOS and Windows does not synchronize - why?

Because, as I said before, Apple does not permit Windows to have access to the iCloud protocols needed for syncing to work. If Apple ever changes their policy on that, I would expect 1Password for Windows would be updated to use iCloud. But that is only speculation on my part.

In iOS 9 I have a choice in the main vault iCloud, Dropbox. Next vault do not have this option only Dorpbox - why??????

Because the ability to sync multiple vaults is not available in iCloud. Only the primary vault can sync. You can, however, sync all of your vaults through Dropbox. The AgileBits folks have said that it is possible that syncing multiple vaults over iCloud may come in the future.

There have been many requests for alternative cloud syncing solutions, including Google's Drive, and AgileBits keeps track of those requests. Yours will likely be counted too. I am not a programmer or an AgileBits employee, so I don't know what the exact challenges are, but it is apparently not straightforward to add new cloud sync solutions.

I would not call using Dropbox for syncing being doomed. Most of the features you are asking about are available to you if you adopt Dropbox, so it doesn't seem to me that doom is involved. Suitable solutions for my needs sounds more like it to me. But to be clear, if you need to synchronize your data on multiple platforms, including Windows and/or Android, Dropbox is the only cloud based option available for 1Password.

Finally, if security for your data is your concern, remember that 1Password security depends on its own encryption methods and a strong master password. iCloud and Dropbox are equally secure in this regard.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

@Przema: I apologize for not understanding your original post. To me, it sounded like you were trying to use folders to sync with iCloud, but of course this is a non-starter if it isn't available on all of the platforms you're using.

In OSX 10 - there is an option folder and the folder that synchronize OK. Today no :( 1Password crash when when I choose preferences (I send reports), when I restart system all is ok - interesting :).

If you're referring to crash reports, this is built into the OS itself. It just isn't something that iOS has currently.

However, if you're talking about Folder Sync...iOS doesn't have a filesystem to speak of. Apps each have their own sandboxes and cannot write data outside of this in device storage.

This actually relates to what I just said. Because of the iOS security model, apps aren't able to 'sync' to a folder as they can on OS X. They're restricted to their sandbox. Because of this, Apple created CloudKit, which iOS apps such as 1Password can use to sync data to iCloud. This is completely separate from iCloud Drive (which it sounds like you are referring to).

iCloud can only store a single 1Password vault — the primary — not secondary vaults. We'd like to overcome this limitation in the future, but I cannot say if and when this might be possible.

No doom. But yes, Dropbox is currently the only supported multi-platform sync solution. We added it long ago because they've always provided robust sync APIs which we're able to use on mobile platforms, and it has a proven track record.

We may add additional services in the future, but only if they meet the criteria above as well as being popular with our customers, but just as important, they would need to be a good match for 1Password technically; and ultimately it would require a lot of resources for development and, even more so, testing.

You know I have Office 365 and Microsoft cloud.
    I have Apple's iCloud due to the device that they have.
    Now comes Dropbox ... a bit much these clouds.

Indeed. I know it can be overwhelming to have so many sync services moving your data around for you automatically in the background. I know many people use Dropbox solely for their 1Password data, and I find that it's helpful to designate various sync services for specific purposes like this. For example, I have a File Transporter I use only to share data with a friend of mine who also has one of their own. I know that when I put files there, that's where they're going. Perhaps this perspective may help you as well.

And last but not least, as hawkmoth pointed out, your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. I hope this helps! :)

• Przema
    Przema
    Community Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

@hawkmoth and @brenty
    Thank you very much for such a rapid and complete response, and patience. Sorry for my English ;)
    Now everything is clear to me.
    In my situation on many platforms, Dropbox is the only option.
    I am very happy with 1Password!
    Thank you again for a detailed explanation.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Przema: You're very welcome! There's no need to apologize. I don't think it's your English, so much as I just want to be sure that I understand the question before going on and on about technical details that you might not be interested in. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have further questions. We're always here to help! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.