How to refresh generated password?

tastyroadkill
tastyroadkill
Community Member

When using 1Password mini from the menu bar, I select 'password generator' and there is a password prepopulated based on the settings (digits, symbols, length, etc.). Lastpass has a feature that would allow me to click refresh to change the proposed password until I found something I wanted to use. Is there a way to do the same thing in 1Password? The only work around I've found is to use the slider to change the password length, but I don't want to do that each time.

The reason I'm curious is because sometimes passwords have unique restrictions, such as only using certain symbols, or no repeating characters, etc. In these cases, being able to quickly refresh the proposed password until I find one that meets the criteria would be helpful.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

The only work around I've found is to use the slider to change the password length, but I don't want to do that each time.

@tastyroadkill: The password generator in general is something we are working to improve. But you're absolutely right: it can be tedious to fiddle with the settings every time. The workaround I use is to double-click to toggle Pronounceable quickly, which will return you to your initial settings with a newly generated password. I hope this helps. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tastyroadkill,

Another way to regenerate a password in Password Generator is to click the currently selected Separator radio button under Password Recipe when its Pronounceable option is enabled.

Or when Pronounceable is disabled, double-click Avoid Ambiguous Characters or Allow characters to repeat there.

That's similar to @brenty's suggestion, without causing the Password Recipe section to flip back and forth. :)

This discussion has been closed.