1password mini not starting after boot

Options
kecinzer
kecinzer
Community Member

Dear support.
I can't get 1password mini automatically start after boot of my OSX system. I don't have any item in my startup list, but I have checked keep 1 password mini always running. On my second MAC with clean installation of OSX there it's working. But on my MacBook Pro don't.
There must be something broken on my environment, but I don't want to reinstall all OS. I would like to identify and solve this issue without reinstalling.
I already tried completly uninstall 1Password and install again but result is still same.
Problem goes from OSX 10.10.3 till 10.11.1.

May I send you some diagnostic data?

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @kecinzer,

The diagnostic report may not help much as we don't query launchd which is what controls launching of 1Password mini. There are a few things we can look into though.

1. Do you have more than one copy of 1Password visible on this Mac? Basically if Spotlight can see more than one copy of 1Password for Mac there is no guarantee the right copy of 1Password mini will be launched and that causes a whole load of quirky behaviour. You want to keep a single copy of 1Password in your /Applications/ folder and make sure your Desktop, Downloads folder and any external or other partitions don't have a copy. Sadly Spotlight doesn't favour /Applications/ and often will launch a copy in a completely different location.
    2. Another possibility is the entry of 1Password mini in the launchd database needs reset. One way to do this is to open 1Password's preferences and in the General tab uptick the checkbox for Always keep 1Password mini running and quit 1Password. It will ask for confirmation in a dialog titled Enable 1Password mini? - click the Do not enable button. Launch 1Password and tick the checkbox again. This will cause 1Password to first remove the 1Password mini entry from launchd and then re-add it.
    3. The third possibility I'm aware of only happens in El Capitan but you wouldn't be able to launch 1Password at all if this is the case. The issue is the quarantine flag isn't being properly removed and so OS X refuses to let 1Password mini launch. Assuming you have 1Password in your /Applications/ folder then the following command in a Terminal window should remove the flag. The terminal command is xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine /Applications/1Password\ 5.app

So we've covered the three key causes of 1Password not launching properly. Do any of these help? If I've been too terse in the explanation of any or all please do say and I can expand where required. Please do keep us updated.

• kecinzer
    kecinzer
    Community Member
    Options

I tried all your suggestions but without luck.
    I finaly solved issue by clean install of El Capitan :).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Ouch! that's a fairly big step and I'm sorry you felt it was necessary @kecinzer, especially as you had wished to avoid it. Of course now it's working which was always the end goal (albeit preferably with a less radical solution). Can I ask, were any other applications also misbehaving that prompted the decision to go with a clean start or was it just 1Password but you rely on it so heavily you felt you had no choice?

• kecinzer
    kecinzer
    Community Member
    Options

I have my installation since 10.10.1 and I had other problems, so I decided to make clean install. 1password wasn't only thing that make me do that but the biggest :).

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kecinzer,

I'm very glad to hear that a clean installation resolved your issue, but I also agree with @littlebobbytables, that is a lot of work!

This discussion has been closed.