1Password will not open in Chrome [need to set the default in System Preferences]

gdonnelly54
gdonnelly54
Community Member
edited September 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

1Password defaults to the Safari browser, even when I have Chrome open and Safari is not. I do not wish to use Safari, and want it to open in Chrome.

I have downloaded successfully the 1Password extension for Chrome. I am using 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 and Chrome Version 45.0.2454.99 (64-bit) on a MacBook Air running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5.

Other topics suggested that one can set a default browser for 1Password (see below from an earlier discussion), but there is no "Default web browser available under Preferences > General in my version of 1Password.

Hi Jon,

1Password will open websites in your default browser. To change your default browser, go to System Preferences > General > Default web browser.

To change your default browser per-website, you'd need to use an app like Choosy.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gdonnelly54:Sorry for the confusion! 1Password doesn't care about your browser, but you need to have it set correctly as the default for OS X:

1Password will open websites in your default browser. To change your default browser, go to System Preferences > General > Default web browser.

I hope this helps! :)

• gdonnelly54
    gdonnelly54
    Community Member

Thanks, Brenty. I made the change on my Mac, but apparently can't change the default browser on my iOS devices - iPad and iPhone.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gdonnelly54,

iOS is a very different beast to OS X. With OS X we supply an extension for each of the major browsers which you manually download and install. As you've discovered OS X also allows you to select what browser you use as your default. With iOS neither of these apply. iOS extensions, new in iOS 8 come in a select number of flavours. One is a iOS Safari Extension that any iOS app can have and that Safari will allow you to use from the Share menu. We have this. The other extension we have is a general extension that if used by another app will allow the user to fill using an item from your vault. The way this works in iOS though is each developer has to build support into their app for each general extension they want to function in their app. So there isn't a way for us or you to have the 1Password iOS extension work in iOS Chrome - this has to come from the developers of the iOS Chrome app. This is also on top of the fact that you can't select a default browser.

Does that help explain how it works on iOS?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@gdonnelly54: I'll also add that while Chrome hasn't added support for the 1Password extension on iOS (yet?), many other apps have, and of course you can use the 1Password extension in Safari.

Another option on newer iPads is to use 1Password with Slide Over

And don't be afraid to tell developers of your favourite apps about the 1Password extension. We're always more than happy to help them implement it in their apps so that you and the rest of our mutual users can benefit. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.