Disappearing Safari Icon

I am getting SICK and terribly TIRED of 1Password and how it keeps loosing the Safari Icon....

Updated to the latest Safari and now, every time I wanna use 1PW the stupid icon aint there.
Then I start the 1PW app and the icon comes up...

I have tried un-installing and resintalling the browser icons... NUMEROUS time. No Help.

Agile, you HAVE been having this problem since WAAAAAY back. And I have been reporting it since WAAAAAY back.....

are you really not starting to grow ashamed of yourself????????????

I mean - HOW DIFFICULT can it be on a SCALE from 1 to 1......

Jesus

Comments

• MikeT
    edited March 2011
    Hi Jesus,

This problem isn’t related to the updates but a specific system configuration on the Mac, most commonly due to an incorrect folder permissions or an interference with another browser plugin.

Please reset your folder permissions by doing the following:
    1. Quit Safari
    2. Open 1Password
    3. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions
    4. For a good measure, restart your Mac.
    5. Run Safari

That should fix the issue.

If not, can you also tell me if you use Evernote or any products from TinyApps?
  • rotlex
    rotlex
    Community Member
    Found this thread while doing a search for a solution to this problem. Running Safari 5.0.4 and 1 Password 3.5.9 (Just updated last night). Ever since then, the 1P icon is missing from Safari. I've tried the solution offered here, rebooted etc., and it is still not showing up.

As you mention it in your post, I AM running Evernote. No problems at all until last nights update of 1 Password. This is quite frustrating actually, as it happens often, however, this is the first time I am unable to get it back.

Also, as a side note, I can't get 1 Password to work at all with Firefox 4, on OS X. It doesn't even allow me to check of the option to enable the browser extension for Firefox 4 within 1 Password.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited March 2011
    I am having the same frustrating problem. The 1Password icon/button disappears from Safari periodically. I have to open the Customize Toolbar menu to drag it back onto the toolbar. This started in the last couple of days. Sometimes when I open Safari it's there, other times not.

I have not had this happen in Firefox.

OS X 10.6.7

1Password v3.5.9 (build 30884).

Safari v5.0.4.

I am running Evernote v2.0.5.

I tried MikeT's suggestion, but that did not fix it.

1Password is one of my all-time favorite programs and it has been absolutely stellar until now. I hope Agile can get this resolved soon.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunately, an old version of the Evernote Safari extension didn't play nice with any toolbar customizations the user has made, which of course includes 1Password. We've reached out to the Evernote team to supply code to get this working and they made some progress in a recent update.

Please try upgrading to the latest version of Evernote and see if that helps. If not, try removing the Evernote clipper extension and see if that helps. Assuming it does, you can achieve much of the Evernote clipper's functionality by simply dragging the URL from the address bar to the Evernote icon in the Dock. Select the URL and click and hold for a short delay before dragging to have the text drag. Then, drop the URL on the Evernote icon in the Dock to clip the page. With this in place, many users have found they do not need to use the Evernote clipper in Safari at all.

After removing Evernote, restart Safari and you should be able to get the 1Password icon to stay on the toolbar. Alternatively, if you want to keep the Evernote icon, you can access all of 1Password's functionality from the context menu in the browser (ctrl-click on the webpage).
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi Jesus,

This problem isn’t related to the updates but a specific system configuration on the Mac, most commonly due to an incorrect folder permissions or an interference with another browser plugin.

Please reset your folder permissions by doing the following:
    1. Quit Safari
    2. Open 1Password
    3. Click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Folder Permissions
    4. For a good measure, restart your Mac.
    5. Run Safari

That should fix the issue.

If not, can you also tell me if you use Evernote or any products from TinyApps?

I had the same issue with the icon suddenly disappearing for a long time,
    I could usually just add the button again.
    I did all the items you mentioned above. NO GO

Why is the icon not in the Menu Bar at the top anymore?

Please advise on a permanent solution?
    I do no not have Evernote installed.

love the app but only when it is working!

thanks
    Joe

Safari 5.0.4 MBP 6.1 2.53GHz 2xCore i5
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Joe. I'm sorry that you are having trouble with 1Password's Safari extension.

If you have already followed Mike's steps above with no success, it sounds like your 1Password installation may be damaged, which would be affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button under "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

After 1Password has been reinstalled, please quit all your web browsers and then:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Open 1Password's Preferences to the Browsers pane
    3. Click the "Remove All Extensions" button
    4. Click the "Install All Extensions" button

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!
  • MikeT
    edited April 2011
    Hi Joe,

To get the 1Password menu option on the top menu bar instead of the 1Password button on the browser’s toolbar, make sure you set the option to “show in top menu” via the 1Password’s Preferences > Browser.

1Pm_Show_in_Top_Menu.png
  • rotlex
    rotlex
    Community Member
    khad wrote:

Unfortunately, an old version of the Evernote Safari extension didn't play nice with any toolbar customizations the user has made, which of course includes 1Password. We've reached out to the Evernote team to supply code to get this working and they made some progress in a recent update.

Please try upgrading to the latest version of Evernote and see if that helps. If not, try removing the Evernote clipper extension and see if that helps. Assuming it does, you can achieve much of the Evernote clipper's functionality by simply dragging the URL from the address bar to the Evernote icon in the Dock. Select the URL and click and hold for a short delay before dragging to have the text drag. Then, drop the URL on the Evernote icon in the Dock to clip the page. With this in place, many users have found they do not need to use the Evernote clipper in Safari at all.

After removing Evernote, restart Safari and you should be able to get the 1Password icon to stay on the toolbar. Alternatively, if you want to keep the Evernote icon, you can access all of 1Password's functionality from the context menu in the browser (ctrl-click on the webpage).

Wanted to follow up here, and say that Evernote was indeed causing my issue. I was\am running the latest version, however, not even turning off the safari extension helped. The 1P button was not available even from preferences, until I turned off the Evernote helper completely. Not that I even USE Evernote that often, and when I do, it is mostly from my iPhone, however, this is quite frustrating.

Also, as an added note, until I stopped Evernote, I was not even able to install the Firefox 4 extension for 1P. I could literally not even check off the box for it in the 1P preferences. It now works in Safari and Firefox without issue.

Hopefully one side on this, Agile or the Evernote folks, can come up with a fix for this issue in a future release.
  • I am running OSX 10.6.6
    Safari 5.0.4
    Firefox 3.6.16
    1password 3.5.9
    It no longer works in safari or firefox after my most recent upgrade.
    I have tried everything listed including all the evernote stuff....no help.
    This is killin me...I use this every day 4-8 times per day....whats next to do...
    helps
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Doug. I am sorry that you are having this problem.

If you have already followed the steps listed in our "Missing 1Password Button in Web Browser" guide and are still having trouble, could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? To generate the report from 1Password on your Mac, open 1Password and select Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report. Then attach the entire file to an email to support@agilewebsolutions.com.

Please include a link to this thread in order that we might more quickly "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, though.
  • I had this problem ever since I upgraded to 3.5.9. I tried all of the steps above. The only thing that fixed it was re-installing 1Password.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, stevegio!

I'm glad that things are working well for you now. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
  • Thank you so much for the reinstall instructions because now everything is working perfect. I was pulling my hair out doing all of the other steps but this worked instantly. So glad you guys had this discussion. Extremely Helpful THANKS!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, shirleycdaley! I am so pleased to know that everything is working well for you. Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know! Not everyone does, so it is always brightens my day when it happens. :-D

All the best,
  • abavetta
    edited April 2011
    khad wrote:

Welcome to the forums, Joe. I'm sorry that you are having trouble with 1Password's Safari extension.

If you have already followed Mike's steps above with no success, it sounds like your 1Password installation may be damaged, which would be affecting browser integration. To resolve this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button under "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.

After 1Password has been reinstalled, please quit all your web browsers and then:

1. Open 1Password
    2. Open 1Password's Preferences to the Browsers pane
    3. Click the "Remove All Extensions" button
    4. Click the "Install All Extensions" button

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks!

Safari 5.05
    OS 10.6.7
    1Password 3.5.9
    Evernote 2.0.5

Reinstalled 1Password as suggested. Now 1Password icon "sticks" on the tool bar. Problem is it's not where I want it. It's clear over at the right edge of the toolbar to the right of the google search window. If I drag it over to the left to put it where I want it and quit Safari it returns to the right hand edge when I reopen Safari. Almost there! Any suggestions how to fix this "minor" annoyance?
    Andy
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Andy,

Please also see my post above about a very likely conflict with the Evernote clipper Safari plugin. It sounds like that may be the issue for you.
  • waddie
    waddie
    Community Member
    For the past few weeks, whenever I re-open Safari, the 1P icon in the toolbar will have migrated over to the right-hand side of toolbar (I normally keep it immediately to the left of the address bar). Not always the same position, but never where I left it.

Nothing in the 1Password troubleshooting guide makes any difference (repairing disk permissions, resetting folder permissions, reinstalling browser extensions, etc).

Remembering a similar incompatibility back in the days of 1Password 2, I tried removing "Add to Evernote" from the toolbar, which seems to have sorted it out.

I don't know if this is related to their recent update or one of 1Password's, but I'm on the latest beta, and the problem has persisted throughout several updates on two Macs.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Welcome to the forums, waddie. I am sorry that you are having this problem. I have merged your post with the appropriate thread. Please see my post above which specifically addresses Evernote. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let me know. We are always here to help!

Cheers,
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    khad wrote:

Andy,

Please also see my post above about a very likely conflict with the Evernote clipper Safari plugin. It sounds like that may be the issue for you.

I can say with almost certainty that the issue with the "disappearing 1PW icon" in Safari is a 1PW/Evernote conflict. I recently did a complete OS reinstall (scrape and pave) on my iMac. Downloaded and installed DropBox then 1PW to sync up and everything worked flawlessly. The moment I downloaded and installed Evernote the problem came back. All three programs, Safari, 1PW and Evernote are the latest versions:

1Password v3.5.9
    Evernote v2.1.0
    Safari v5.05

So AgileBits and Evernote really need to work this out sooner than later. I love both programs as well as Safari and I am not giving up any of them. However I am really getting tired of the 1PW icon disappearing from my Safari toolbar...and in my mind if Evernote's program and toolbar icon are working perfectly fine this is an AgileBits problem to resolve. Please hurry up!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement, richsadams!

Unfortunately, there is not much we can do about it at the moment. :-(

What happens is that one of the extensions is getting loaded first and it inserts its button in the toolbar. When the toolbar gets updated, Safari (Cocoa, really) removes all invalid buttons. In this case, if 1Password is not loaded yet then its button will be removed. In some sense Evernote is removing 1Password's button. (Though it really isn't their "fault" either.)

This is not a "solution," but just in case anyone is curious, the problem does not exist in any other browser. A "workaround" could be to use Firefox or Chrome if that appealed to you.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you at this time, but we have some ideas for the future. They will take some time to implement since it is not a simple issue.
  • richsadams
    richsadams
    Community Member
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply Khad. At least I/we know what the issue is and how to manage the situation for now. I'm going to remove the Evernote button from my Safari toolbar for now as I tend to use 1PW more than Evernote and there are workarounds for Evernote that will work. Hopefully Agile will be able to sort this out soon because I really enjoy having both programs so readily available.

1PW is still a "Mac Gem"...keep up the good work!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for your patience and support! We really have nothing against Evernote, and a lot of us on the team use it as well. :-)

The issue is a holdover from the days before Apple had a public extensions API for Safari. It won't be an easy transition, but we have been making progress in that direction.
This discussion has been closed.