1Password in iPad and MacBookPro - Reinstall?

Options
axel_schaumann
axel_schaumann
Community Member

I have 1Password installed on a iOS (iPad) and on a OSX (MacBookPro) device. They are synchronized, but have different master-passwords. For some funny reason, the master-password on the MacBook does not work anymore. ;-) Is it possible to install 1Password new, cpnnect it to the iPad version and synchronize them again? Any hints? Anything I should take care of specifically? Any other sauggestions, how to do it? Thank your very much.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I have 1Password installed on a iOS (iPad) and on a OSX (MacBookPro) device. They are synchronized, but have different master-passwords. For some funny reason, the master-password on the MacBook does not work anymore. ;-) Is it possible to install 1Password new, cpnnect it to the iPad version and synchronize them again? Any hints? Anything I should take care of specifically? Any other sauggestions, how to do it? Thank your very much.%20%20%20Is%20it%20possible%20to%20install%201Password%20new%2C%20cpnnect%20it%20to%20the%20iPad%20version%20and%20synchronize%20them%20again%3F%20Any%20hints%3F%20Anything%20I%20should%20take%20care%20of%20specifically%3F%20Any%20other%20sauggestions%2C%20how%20to%20do%20it%3F%20Thank%20your%20very%20much.)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @axel_schaumann,

We will be able to help although I just want to make sure you the 1Password for Mac's vault is now irretrievable. Have you tried the Master Password you use on your iPad to see if that unlocks the vault on your Mac and have you changed your Master Password recently at all on either device? If you have, does the old Master Password make any difference?

So Master Passwords, in a way, should synchronise. We don't actually synchronise the Master Password as that is never stored but the data that we encrypt with your Master Password is synchronised. We did have some bugs in an older version that meant this wasn't happening properly but as long as you're running a current version on your iPad (we're up to 1Password 6 for iOS as of iOS 9) then you should be running a version with the corrections.

So to tailor the steps to your situation we will need to know how you are currently synchronising. Are you using Dropbox or Wi-Fi Sync? This is will have an impact but once we know we can adjust the steps and get this resolved.

• axel_schaumann
    axel_schaumann
    Community Member
    Options

I have recently (4 weeks) changed the Master Password on the MacBookPro. The old MP was the same on all devices.

No, the MasterPasswords did not sychronize automatcally. The "old" MP on the iPads and iPhone (iOS devices) is still working. It only synchronized on the MacBookPro and the Macmini.

I tried both MasterPasswords on the OSX devices. But it did not work.

I synchronize via Dropbox.

Thank you very much, Axel

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @axel_schaumann,

Let's try the following and see if this works.

1. Create a backup from one of your iOS devices using this guide, Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS): Creating manual backups.
    2. Launch 1Password for Mac and enter 1Password's preferences. They are still accessible even when locked.
    3. Switch to the Backup tab and click on the Find Backup button.
    4. Select the .1p4_zip in the Backups folder you copied to the Mac from your iOS device. That's correct, the backup files created by 1Password for Mac and iOS are compatible.
    5. If I recall correctly this will add the backup to the list of backups in 1Password. Select the backup from the list (it will likely be at the top as the newest) and then click on the now enabled Restore button. Follow the steps as 1Password guides you through restoring a backup.

Does this allow you to regain access to your vaults on the Mac using the old Master Password? If it does then we've made an important step forward but there is still work to be done. You will want to delete the Agile Keychain in your Dropbox as your Master Password did sync to the other Mac and as you cannot access from either Mac it means we need to replace the Agile Keychain. Your iOS devices will complain but that's okay.

If you're like me you'll find it easiest to re-enable Dropbox Sync on the now working Mac. This page, Sync with Dropbox should help if you don't remember.

On the other Mac you could start over with an empty vault and then Sync existing Dropbox data.

All that would leave are your iOS devices where you will need to re-enable Dropbox Sync. 1Password disables it when it finds the sync container has been removed. Even though there will be a new one with the same filename it knows and as a precaution stops syncing. This page will show you how to re-enable Dropbox, Sync with Dropbox (iOS).

So there's a lot in there. Please take the time to digest and if you have any questions or doubts at all please do ask before proceeding :smile:

• axel_schaumann
    axel_schaumann
    Community Member
    Options

It worked!

I am sorry, that it tool me so long. For some reason I had to take care of other stuff. But today I had the time to sit down and do it. It worked great. There is one more step, that I need to do. I need to change the master password. I will do that later today and will inform you, if it synchronized with the ios devices or not. Thank you very much for your help. :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @axel_schaumann,

Thank you for writing back and I'm glad to hear that we've had success so far in what you've done. With a little luck you'll be able to successfully change the Master Password this time but we will be here should you have any difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.