Tapping Cancel removed focus from Search field

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Bug: focus lost after clearing search box.

Comments

• pkoller
    pkoller
    Community Member
    Options

I am using the latest version (5.5) on iPad and iPhone, and this issue remains, i.e. when "cancelling" the search (to clear the text), the focus is lost and has to be set on the text box again in order to type a new search. Does not make sense to me.

Thanks for fixing this
    Pascal

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pkoller,

You posted about this in our Mac forum, but since your message is about the iOS version of 1Password, I've moved it to a new thread in our iOS forums. I hope you don't mind!

What you've described is actually standard/expected behavior, because it's meant to be consistent with other native apps on iOS 8. For example, the same thing happens if you tap Cancel from the Search field of Mail, Safari, Notes, Reminders, Music, Messages, Contacts, and others. Generally, the Cancel button is meant to completely cancel the search (in addition to clearing the text from the Search field).

Now, one thing some of those apps have is a small "x" button in the Search field, which is in addition to the Cancel button. The "x" button is used to clear the text but keep focus in the Search field. It sounds like that's what you'd like to see in 1Password as well. We do have a feature request open for that, and I'll be happy to let our developers know you'd also like to have that feature (I don't have any timeframe for when/if that will be added, though).

For now, to clear the text in the Search field in 1Password, you'll need to either use the Delete key, or tap Cancel and then tap the Search field again.

If you have more questions about that, please let us know. Thanks! :)

ref: OPI-2620

• pkoller
    pkoller
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for the kind comment (and sorry for posting in the wrong place, quite a crime, no? :-))

Appreciate the feedback, which sounds promising. I shall be looking out for that 'x' in one of the next versions, and remain patient so long...

Thanks
    Pascal

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No problem at all, @pkoller! We're more than happy to move posts to a different forum if we feel they fit better there. :)

As for the feature request, just to be clear, I can't promise an 'x' button to clear the Search field will be included in one of the next releases. That doesn't mean it won't be, but that doesn't mean it will, either. At this point, we honestly just don't know one way or another. It's a feature I'd also like to have, and I think there's a good chance we'll add it at some point, but I don't want to give you any false expectations about that.

Thanks again, and take care! :)

• fatherfork
    fatherfork
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to add my name to this request. It would be absolutely wonderful if there was an X in addition to Cancel. My daily annoyances would be diminished drastically :-)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for letting us know, @fatherfork! I'll be happy to add your vote to our internal tracker. :)

• 1pwd
    1pwd
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG I would like this too. Nearly every iOS search field has such a button, and it doesn't make sense to me that such an advanced app as 1Password wouldn't after so many years...

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1pwd,

Thanks, I'll gladly add your comments to our internal tracker as well! I'd like to have an 'x' button in the search field in 1Password too, so hopefully we'll be able to add that.

This discussion has been closed.