Forum discussion viewed counter increments on reload

J4Days
J4Days
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Lounge

I don't know if this matters to the developers or web-developers of Agilebits, but you can increment your post on any forum by re-visiting it over and over again...

I just made a post... and periodically visit it to check on any responses... in doing so, I increment my own post count. I'm not even changing IP address !!!!! what!? Don't you think views should be from unique visitors or new readers of the post...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

@J4Days: Honestly, I hadn't even realized that there was a visible 'viewed' counter until you mentioned it! You're right, it does increment on reloads. But since we don't write the forum software it isn't something we can change. Can you tell me why that feature would be important to you? It may be that we could request that feature, but to my knowledge it hasn't come up before.

But of course you touched on a good point: even if this ignored subsequent visits from the same IP, the IP can easily change, so there's no sure-fire way to do this without doing something creepy like giving visitors a unique ID to track. I know that wouldn't be something I'd be happy about, and I suspect that others would bristle at that as well... :dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.