Alternative text input (Handwriting to text)

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member
edited July 2015 in iOS

I hope some of you can figure this one out:: is it possible to do a handwriting to text on an iPhone or iPad? Keyboard typing can be very tedious. Especially for passwords. It was previously possible (handwriting) with the Palm Pilots and the Newton.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I'm not currently aware of a way to make this possible, but perhaps one of our community members will have a suggestion. :)

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options

@wkleem,

This article might be a good read first, esp. regarding the security issues present.

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thanks for the link. Apple owns the IP to the Newton, so I thought that we would have seen something by now. The Newton was just too far ahead of its time. Plus, John Sculley launched it!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Apple also famously abandoned the Newton, despite its intellectual property. Does anyone think its innards have any future with Apple?

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

@hawkmoth, I checked with Evernote some time ago on their support for styluses. They replied that the reason why Evernote works well with the Galaxy Note 3/4 stylus is because stylus support is built into the device. Apple doesn't yet have built in support for styluses so the Evernote App can't work with them.

Hopefully 1Password will get to this level of functionality eventually.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

I doubt that 1Password will get support for styluses before it is fully supported on the OS, but you never know. ;) I've experimented with a few sketching programs and my own stylus, and the technology isn't quite at a point where it can mimic pen and paper just yet. I look forward to the day that it is though!

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Just an update. When Apple announced the iPad Pro, they also announced the Apple Pencil, a stylus which works only with the 12.9" new iPad.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wkleem. Hopefully that will be something natively supported by the OS itself, but we'll see. :)

This discussion has been closed.