Problems with PIN lock when upgrading to a Touch ID enabled device

padde
padde
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

Hi,

I just upgraded from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6s. I had a PIN configured, and after I restored my backup on the new device it was apparently still there. 1Password kept asking me for my PIN, but would refuse to unlock although I am sure it was the correct PIN. I figured you cannot use a PIN when Touch ID is generally enabled on the device. I temporarily got around the unnecessary PIN prompt by activating Touch ID in 1Password and then deactivating it again.

I would still like to use Touch ID to unlock my phone, but a PIN to unlock 1Password. The Touch ID technology is far from perfect and can be easily circumvented if an attacker manages to gain access to a decent quality image of the user's fingerprint. Even a photo of the user's hand is sufficient for this.

Having attackers unlock my phone and read my mail is one thing, having them also control all of my accounts, passwords and credit card data is another thing. For this reason, I would still like to use a different security mechanism (i.e. PIN) to protect my 1Password data.

If there is no way that PIN can be brought back to Touch ID enabled devices, it would be nice if 1Password could at least notify users about the fact that PIN is no longer available. It should also stop prompting for the PIN when Touch ID is available and directly prompt for the master password instead.

For now I am going to leave Touch ID in 1Password disabled and enter my Master Password every time, but I would really like to have the PIN lock back.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @padde,

Thanks for taking the time to write to us with this concern. At present time it is only possible to use a PIN on a device that does not have Touch ID capability (i.e. iPhone 5). I'm not aware of any plans at this point to change that setup. We do certainly appreciate the feedback though, and I'd be happy to pass it along to our development team.

Thanks!

Ben

• goatman
    goatman
    Community Member

Dear 1Password team.

When is the PIN option coming back also to Touch ID devices ?????? This is a major security issue, because Touch ID is still not secure!!!!! For example even laws in certain countries can force the user to put the users-fingerprint othe Touch ID device for unlocking.

http://mashable.com/2014/10/30/cops-can-force-you-to-unlock-phone-with-fingerprint-ruling/#LvCcRMld9uqg

But the law is NOT allowed to force you giving out your known PIN.

Or, just imagine you are K.O. by force or by alkohol... .But your "living attached finger" will unlook your 1password IN FULL. So if you care about security you should take this issue serious and set action!!!!!

IF THERE IS A WILL THERE IS ALWAYS a WAY to bring this PIN function back. All these nice and comfy app functions are worth nothing if security is critical.

Sorry folks, but this is NO big rocket science and doesn´t have to be developed / programmed for weeks or months. Its maybe just a short programm line code like "show always enable PIN for selection" = ON .........

We as your loyal user should be able to decide for yourself either if we want to use the Touch ID or the PIN.

Thxs for your understanding :o)

Chris

• Hi @goatman,

I've already replied to your duplicate message here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/50364/pin-function-also-for-touchid-devices-a-must-have-security-feature#latest

To avoid a duplication of efforts (slowing down support for everyone) please avoid posting the same message more than once.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.