i can't open a copy of my vault in dropbox

Options
vangen
vangen
Community Member

When i try to manual upload my "1Password.agilekeychain" file to a new dropboxfolder (other than the synced folder) it shows up as a zipfile and it is not possible to open in 1 passwordAnywhere ( can't get access to the **bookmarkfile).
If however i open the synced folder it shows up as a bookmark file which can be accessed with 1passwordanywhere. Is it possible to manually copy a 1Password.agilekeychain file to dropbox and access it with 1passwordanywhere?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vangen,

I'm sorry you're running into some trouble with your 1Password.agilekeychain file and 1PasswordAnywhere!

Can you please elaborate on exactly what you're doing / the exact steps you're taking? I don't quite understand the process you described. Are you currently syncing a vault in 1Password with Dropbox, and you're moving that .agilekeychain file somewhere else? Or did you have a .agilekeychain file saved somewhere else and moved it back into your local Dropbox folder on your Mac? Where does it appear as a zip file: on your Mac or on dropbox.com? What is the "bookmarkfile" you referred to? If you can describe exactly what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking to do it, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again.

It will also help if you can let us know the following:

• What version of Mac OS X are you running?
    • What exact version of the 1Password app is installed on your Mac?
    • Are you using the AgileBits Store version or the Mac App Store version of 1Password?
    • Is Dropbox sync enabled for one or more vaults in 1Password? If so, what is the file path shown in the Sync preferences in 1Password?
    • What other devices are you syncing with 1Password?
    • What version of 1Password are you using on each device?
    • Are you having any trouble syncing your 1Password data, or just a problem trying to use 1PasswordAnywhere?
    • Do you receive any error messages? If so, what do they say?

Thanks in advance!

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member
    Options

I found the backup location (on my mac) from 1password 5.4 Appstoreversion in Preferences/Backup/Show files. From there i copied one of the backups( long list-they look like this: 1Password 2014-10-23 18_33_17 (1 profiles, 137 items, 6 folders, 19 attachments).1p4_zip) to a Dropboxfolder in another folder here named "other" ( it is NOT the one i sync to!)
    When i try to access/open the file "1Password 2014-10-23 18_33_17 (1 profiles, 137 items, 6 folders, 19 attachments).1p4_zip" in my browser (https://www.dropbox.com/m/browse?path=/other) i can just see the zip file and can't open it.
    When i access the backups online in my sync folder on Dropbox i find a !passwordfolder and open it i find a file :"1Password.html" This can be opened(viewed) i my browser using the master password

I want to be able to open in a browser both the vault synced and the vault i manually copy to a dropboxfolder of my choice

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vangen,

Thanks for getting back to us with those details!

Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly: you've found your 1Password backups on your main drive, and moved one of them to Dropbox.

When i try to access/open the file "1Password 2014-10-23 18_33_17 (1 profiles, 137 items, 6 folders, 19 attachments).1p4_zip" in my browser... i can just see the zip file and can't open it.

I've checked my own Dropbox folder, and I'm seeing the same thing: .zip files can be downloaded or shared, but not opened directly.

I want to be able to open in a browser both the vault synced and the vault i manually copy to a dropboxfolder of my choice

I think we're getting mixed up here between your backups and your synced file. And that's completely understandable, its not something that I ever thought about until I started working for a tech company. ;) Backups and sync files are two different things, and serve two different purposes within your 1Password ecosystem:

• A backup is a static, unchanging snapshot of your data at a given time. It's purpose is to ensure that you have a 'good' copy to roll back to if anything should happen.
    • A sync file, such as your .agilekeychain, is meant to ensure that the data on all of your devices stays 'in sync', or up to date. This file is constantly changing every time you update an item.

Copying a backup to Dropbox to have it stored safely off your computer just in case something happens is not a bad idea at all. But you won't be able to open that up without re-downloading it to your computer.

Can I ask why you want to be able to open up both these files in Dropbox?

• vangen
    vangen
    Community Member
    Options

Yes you understood me correct! I see that the 1password "sync" and "backup" is two different things and can not be accessed in the same way. I just tried to figure out different ways to safeguard my data in case of losing control with my "applesystem" and be able to make use of my data in case of no access to my ordinary computers/phone and access the data from any web browser and windows/mac. Of course i could probable download this "zip file" - 1Password 2014-10-23 18_33_17 (1 profiles, 137 items, 6 folders, 19 attachments).1p4_zip" - back to a new computer and do a restore in my new computer!?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @vangen,

I'm glad Megan was able to help clear up some confusion!

I just tried to figure out different ways to safeguard my data in case of losing control with my "applesystem" and be able to make use of my data in case of no access to my ordinary computers/phone and access the data from any web browser and windows/mac.

As Megan said, it's definitely a great idea to copy your 1Password backup(s) somewhere other than your Mac! :) Copying a backup file to Dropbox is one way to do that. You could also copy a backup to a USB drive, or some other form of storage. And if you make regular backups of your entire Mac (using Time Machine, for example), your 1Password data should be backed up there, too.

Using the 1PasswordAnywhere feature to view your 1Password data from a web browser is separate from your 1Password backups, and it sounds like you have that set up and working properly.

Of course i could probable download this "zip file" - 1Password 2014-10-23 18_33_17 (1 profiles, 137 items, 6 folders, 19 attachments).1p4_zip" - back to a new computer and do a restore in my new computer!?

Absolutely! There are a couple basic ways to restore your data from one of those files to 1Password. If 1Password is installed and set up, you can go to Preferences > Backup > Find Backup, and choose the .1p4_zip backup file. Or if you install 1Password on a new Mac, you can choose to restore from that backup file during the setup, when you open 1Password for the first time. We explain more about that in this section of the user guide.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know! :)

This discussion has been closed.