Licensing and sync confusion

Options
benwcrane
benwcrane
Community Member

I purchased a 1password license for my Mac a little over a year ago, and initially was able to sync my Mac and my Android with no trouble - then apparently my 'trial' on my Android device ran out and I could no longer sync passwords between the two. Recently I got a replacement phone and was able to sync my Android with my Mac again, but once again it says my trial has ended, but it seems to be syncing with my Mac despite asking me to upgrade to a premium version (on my android). This is really confusing me, so here's my big question:

I'm now married, my wife and I each have a Mac, I have an Android, she has an iPhone, but she might be switching to Android soon....is there just one license I can get that will cover us on all of our devices?? She has her own 1password license on her Mac, so we're both paying customers, and it'd be really nice if we didn't have to worry about switching between brands of devices to use our 1password license.

Thank you,

Ben C.

1Password Version: 4.5.3 (Android), 5.3.2 (Mac)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @benwcrane. I'll be happy to help out here. :)

First off, I'd like to point out that the free version of 1Password allows you to sync, view, and fill your 1Password data. The trial ending won't have any effect on syncing, so the syncing problem you were having on your old device was related to something else. You can absolutely sync your vault from your Mac to Android without purchasing the Premium features on Android, and even without having a Mac license. The unpaid versions only limit you in your ability to add new items and edit existing ones.

Unfortunately because of how the Play Store is designed, we are not able to bundle the premium features on Android with 1Password on other platforms at the moment. The in-app purchase is handled directly through the Play Store and is linked to your Google account.

Since the Premium features are linked to the Google account they're purchased with, they can be unlocked on any Android device as long as 1Password is installed from the Play Store with that Google account. So if you purchase the Premium features, you can unlock them on your wife's Android as well by linking that Google account to her device, and installing the app from there.

I hope this clarifies things a bit! Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.