I think I'm already hacked, how do I implement One Password without the hacker seeing me. #nontechie

MissyJane777
MissyJane777
Community Member

I am pretty sure my I cloud is hacked and I want to implement One Password without the hacker watching me. How is this done? I'm donig this on another computer just to be safe.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

If the hacker has your email for a particular site or sites, it would be hard not to alert them. I would attempt to turn on 2 Factor Authentication. And change all your passwords. It would be helpful to do a deep scan of your PC for malware.

If your iCloud is actually hacked, a lot of these are done via social engineering techniques.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015

@MissyJane777: Additionally, if someone has compromised your computer, they could just as easily use malware (keylogger, screen capture, remote access) to collect information. Anything you do on that computer will not be safe, including 1Password, because of course you'd need to enter information into 1Password before 1Password can encrypt it.

So ultimately it depends on the type and degree of the compromise you're experiencing. as wkleem mentioned, email can be an innocuously big problem, since it could give them access to password reset emails, allowing them to undo your efforts to change passwords and lock them out again; so I'd start there. Get your email account under your control, and use 2-step authentication to keep it that way. Then you can go about the business of getting your computer cleaned up.

After that's all done, 1Password can help you get organized and setup with long, strong, unique, random passwords for your logins securely stored to help prevent such a thing from happening again.

This discussion has been closed.