Does Office365 login with 2 Factor Authentication require Microsoft Authenticator App?

Options

I use 1Password on iMac, iOS, and on Windows, all synced via DropBox (considering syncing via iCloud, but that could be an issue with 1Password for Windows).

One of the logins I store is Office365 (username and password) but while using two-factor authentication I have not yet found a way to use 1Password OTP for Office365 (it sets up fine in 1Password, but does not complete setup in the Office365 online process). It seems to me that Microsoft has set it up to require I download their Microsoft Authenticator iOS app, perhaps that it requires some kind of feedback rather than simple time-based OTP. As the temporary work-around I have the username and password in 1Password, and the OTP via the Authenticator app.

Note: 1Password works well with other OTP I have, including Gmail, Zoho, and DropBox.

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chazzunokuthunuchtec,

I didn't find much meaningful in my googling but when I looked at the description for the Azure Authenticator iOS app I found the following text.

The app supports Azure Multi-Factor Authentication and other software tokens such as those used with Microsoft and Google accounts.

Now that to me strongly suggests that their Multi-Factor Authentication is using a different protocol to RFC 6238 which is what Google Authenticator uses and what we support. RFC 6238 is a Time-based One-time Password (TOTP) and requires no internet connection with a server or with the site. It works by way of a shared code at the time of setup and only requires that both the device and service are synchronised in terms of time. I believe the Azure Multi-Factor Authentication uses a server that needs knowledge of the mobile device to send it a code which you then verify in some fashion. I don't know if their solution is open-source, a standard anybody can adopt or if they're keeping it to themselves.

Sadly we don't support it at the moment so it will require their iOS app I'm afraid.

• chazzunokuthunuchtec
    Options

Will do. Thank you.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry I couldn't have supplied a happier answer.

This discussion has been closed.