touch id

Options
bobliebman
bobliebman
Community Member

Wow, you guys make it so hard to contact Agile Bits for support. First, I have to register...really? Not very user friendly. Anyway, Touch ID does not work in any consistent way in iOS--any version of iOS. It did not work consistently in iOS 8x and it does not work in iOS 9x. Touch ID only worked after installing an update to 1Password app--thereafter, it always asks for my master password. But, if I delete the app and reinstall, Touch ID will work after enabling the function--but just once. Not an issue of re-starting my iPhone. The Touch ID function is virtually non-existent. Between this issue and the whole dysfunction of purchasing from Apple or AgileBits and how the app syncs, then the recent issue with security for AgileBits, and the ongoing disappointment of Touch ID...might be time to move to another app for my passwords.

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @bobliebman,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

First, I have to register...really? Not very user friendly.

Yes, sorry about that. We require registration to help cut down on spam. This allows our folks more time to work on actual customer issues and less time combating spam. I do apologize for the inconvenience, but it is a necessary evil.

Anyway, Touch ID does not work in any consistent way

I'd be happy to help with that. Could you please try turning Touch ID off in the iOS Settings app, turning it back on, then turning Touch ID within 1Password off and back on? We have heard reports from a couple of customers where somewhere along the way through upgrades the Touch ID settings have gotten wonky and re-initiating Touch ID in this manner resolves the problem.

Please let us know if that helps.

Between this issue and the whole dysfunction of purchasing from Apple or AgileBits and how the app syncs

Unfortunately our hands are a bit tied on this due to the inflexibility of the App Store. As it stands purchasing from the App Store is the only way to get iCloud sync. We wish it weren't that way, and if we find a way in the future to make it work otherwise we'd definitely explore that. But one of the reasons we don't go App Store exclusive is that the App Store offers no way to offer any sort of discounts. Everybody pays the same price. So, for example, we cannot give someone who purchased our Windows product a discount on the Mac product through the Mac App Store, only through our store.

I know that doesn't make the process any different, but I hope it helps explain the logic of why we sell in both, and why there are differences between the two versions.

recent issue with security for AgileBits

If you are referring to the fact that some metadata in Agile Keychain databases is not encrypted you can read our response, if you haven't already, here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/50346/your-passwords-are-safe-when-using-the-agile-keychain-format

For anyone reading who just wants the cliff notes: both the Agile Keychain and OPVault formats encrypt all of your password data. With Agile Keychain some metadata such as URL and title are not encrypted. Your passwords have never been at risk.

might be time to move to another app for my passwords.

If you ultimately decide that 1Password is not for you I hope you won't give up on password management entirely. Having strong unique passwords for each account is incredibly important. Whether you continue to use 1Password, or if you find a competing product more adequately meets your needs, I hope you won't give up on that goal.

Thanks.

Ben

• rhayman3000
    rhayman3000
    Community Member
    Options

I had the same problem with a new iPhone 6S Plus received just yesterday (10-27-15). Quickly upgraded to iOS 9.1. Ben's suggestion of turning Touch ID on and off worked perfectly. Thanks for asking the question.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Glad to hear that helped, @rhayman3000!

Ben

• bobliebman
    bobliebman
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry Ben, but your suggestion to turn off/onTouch ID in settings and then do the same in 1Password did nothing to rectify the issue. Also, while I appreciate your explanation of the 2 different sales venues, your rationale is flawed. I have 1 password on my office Mac purchased from agile its and another on my home Mac that was purchased from Apple. I can't sync them using iCloud--which is more secure than Dropbox or wifi. Seems the decision was about saving money by not giving Apple their cut rather than offering discounts.

• Ben
    Options

@bobliebman,

Sorry Ben, but your suggestion to turn off/onTouch ID in settings and then do the same in 1Password did nothing to rectify the issue

Sorry to hear that did not resolve the issue for you. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/ios.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you.

I have 1 password on my office Mac purchased from agile its and another on my home Mac that was purchased from Apple.

I'm not sure I understand why you purchased multiple copies instead of installing 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store on your home Mac?

I can't sync them using iCloud

If you download 1Password from the App Store using the same Apple ID you've already purchased it on you will not be charged again (use the Purchases tab to install). Then you can sync with iCloud.

which is more secure than Dropbox or wifi.

I think that is highly debatable, and I certainly can't see how iCloud would be more secure than WiFi sync where your data never leaves your hardware.

Seems the decision was about saving money by not giving Apple their cut rather than offering discounts.

Sure; that could also be a reason, but if it were it would certainly not be the only one. As I mentioned we also sell a Windows product, and offer a bundle of the Mac and Windows product at a discount. We could not do that if we were exclusive to the App Store on Mac, and we feel that is important enough to continue offering it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.