mini fails to copy password to Microsoft Remote Desktop [client] Version 8.0.21 (Build 26739)

Options
sirkkalap2
sirkkalap2
Community Member

While using 1Password Mini and Microsoft Remote Desktop version 8.0.21 (Build 26739) I am unable to copy password text to the remote desktop.

Copying from 1Password application and also copying from any other application works flawlessly, only Mini fails.

How might I be able to deduce what is failing? What difference should it make to use the Mini or the 1Password it self?

To reproduce,
1. Download Win7IE9 VirtualBox windows IE image from http://modern.ie
2. Download and configure Remote Desktop (do not use the VirtualBox display)
3. Copy paste any text normally from 1Password to the Remote Desktop
4. Use 1P mini to copy text
5. -> no text is copied, old clipboard remains in the Remote Desktop

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11 (15A248)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:mini copy fails microsoft

Comments

• Hi sirkkalap2,

What method are you using to copy passwords in 1P mini? Are you hovering over the value and clicking? Are you using the mouse or keyboard? There are many avenues into the clipboard and I want to make sure I'm testing the same scenario.

Chad

• sirkkalap2
    sirkkalap2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Chad,

I hope you can reproduce this, there are many moving parts.

I tried cmd + alt + * , typed search term, cursor right, enter ( over the password field ). I also tried using mouse to click the copy button. And finally I tried editing in mini and selecting the password and hit cmd + c.

Please let me know if it is difficult to reproduce and I will see if I can reduce my environment to minimize risk of other applications playing a part in this.

-Pete

• chadseld
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @sirkkalap2,
    Then I'm not sure what is going on here. I was hoping you were doing something very unique, but that is not the case. It could be a bug or feature in remote desktop that is filtering out pasteboard entries from non-ui apps (e.g. don't have a Dock Icon). We are not doing anything unique in 1P mini that we are not also doing in 1Password.app.

• sirkkalap2
    sirkkalap2
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, its weird.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry that there isn't a clear explanation for this behaviour, but we'll keep an eye on this as well. Be sure to let us know if you discover anything else. Thanks for bringing this up! :)

• sirkkalap2
    sirkkalap2
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely no problem. I will have to check if http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/main/ or something else is interferencing with clipboard.

To debug I wonder if it would be enough to run

watch pbpaste

in command line to have a peek at clipboard during the operations?

Any other approaches you use to debug clipboard contents?

• sirkkalap2
    sirkkalap2
    Community Member
    Options

Quick test with watch pbpaste indicates that the issue lies in Microsoft Remote Desktop clipboard integration. My guess is that it assumes that while it has focus the clipboard events are not transferred. And since Mini will not steal application focus, nothing will trigger remote desktop to pull the clipboard contents from my Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My guess is that it assumes that while it has focus the clipboard events are not transferred. And since Mini will not steal application focus, nothing will trigger remote desktop to pull the clipboard contents from my Mac.

@sirkkalap2: Wow! That was fast! Good sleuthing! :) :+1:

That actually makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that Remote Desktop was sensitive to application focus. There's probably a good reason for that which currently escapes me. My assumption would have been that it would simply monitor the clipboard...which seems to be exactly what virtualization software does.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention in the first place and sharing your findings, as I suspect it may help others in the future as well! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.