1Password 1.x created items are displayed as blank when converting to OPVault format [Known bug]

ericsnis
ericsnis
Community Member

I exported a group of items from one vault to a new vault using the 1PIF format to move items. Some of the items go missing when importing items into the new vault. The original vault has 165 logins in the login categories, the new vault only shows 134 items after import. Similar things occur when I move some software license data. The software categories has an additional problem where some records are missing several fields.

Other information
The original vault is agilepassword, the new one is opvault.
Some software licenses have attachments while others do not, both kinds go missing.
The missing logins appear to be random to me, they are in various parts of the alphabet.
It does not matter if I export one category at a time or the entire DB, either one loses information.
I tried importing by clicking yes on each record, one at a time. I also tried importing using yes to all. Either one gets the same result.
The icon for the new vault appears to be different on my second laptop. Both run Windows 10 x64 and have all current Windows update and the same version of 1Password.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to see if I can directly import the old agilepassword vault then prune out unneeded records.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ericsnis
    ericsnis
    Community Member

I tried importing the 1PIF file to a new agilekeychain vault and it seems to work fine. So from my perspective it seems to be something going from agilekeychain to opvault vault formats.

• Hi @ericsnis,

We're currently investigating an issue with converting from agilekeychain to opvault, it has to do with the age of the items, the items created before you started using 1Password 4 are imported in OPVault but it doesn't show the fields yet, it does have data but it is not visible.

The software categories has an additional problem where some records are missing several fields.

Do you still have the agilekeychain vault that you switch between both formats?

If yes, can you try this for me:

1. Switch to the agilekeychain format
    2. Select one of the software license items that is missing content in opvault, edit it and add something in the note field before saving it
    3. Export this via 1PIF and import it again in the opvault vault, does it fix the problem?
  • ericsnis
    ericsnis
    Community Member

Good morning Mike,
    I can confirm that your instructions work. Is there a particular date I should use as a cutoff for determine whether I need to modify the record? There are quite a few so it would take some time to accomplish.

Also I noticed it balks at attachments larger than 5MB. Some of my secure notes have PDFs larger than that and it let me attach them. I could try compressing, but they are legal documents so I rather not modify them if at all possible.

• Hi @ericsnis,

We're working on figuring out a better solution for this, so you don't have to manually edit each one of them and just rerun the import with a fix from us.

Is there a particular date I should use as a cutoff for determine whether I need to modify the record?

It would be any item you created in previous 1Password versions that hasn't been modified in 1Password 4.

Also I noticed it balks at attachments larger than 5MB. Some of my secure notes have PDFs larger than that and it let me attach them. I could try compressing, but they are legal documents so I rather not modify them if at all possible.

All 1Password apps have a 5MB attachment limit right now. If you only use 1Password on Windows, you can try this instruction to bypass the limit but we don't recommend it as it is not supported by any other apps and they might not import it.

• ericsnis
    ericsnis
    Community Member

I think everything is resolved now.

It was pretty quick to go through all of the items and update the records so the date was current.
    1. Sort the records by date in descending order.
    2. Press the Home key to go to the first record.
    3. Press enter twice to open then close the record, the record will move to the bottom of the list since the modify date is now.
    4. Repeat from step 2 until all records have today's date.

I went through 393 records in a few minutes by just hitting home, enter, enter, home, enter, enter...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2015

I went through 393 records in a few minutes by just hitting home, enter, enter, home, enter, enter...

@ericsnis: Wow! Keyboard FTW! I'm sorry you had to go through that, but I'm glad to hear that did the trick for you.

Just to be clear in case anyone else stumbles upon this, the date isn't actually important, but it can give you an indication at a glance if the item has been updated (an certainly helps with the sorting). OPVault simply cannot read the legacy data from 1Password 1 which predates the format. Cheers! :)

• ivanavich
    ivanavich
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

I am using latest Windows client version 4.6.0.604 and recently converted from .agilechain to .opvault using 1PIF export format.

The process was painful as folder structure was not bought across, so I dumped all records into a single folder and start recreating the structure.

Some weeks later I needed to find software licenses and realised most records aside from Secure Notes were empty.

I am thankful that I came across this thread. Using ericsnis' technique to force 1Password to update record formats to .opvault compatible was invaluable. Not only were all fields importing successfully, but the folder structure came across too. A problem I could not find a solution for previously. 2 birds, 1 stone.

This thread hasn't been updated in at least 8 months yet this is a major problem that still exists in 1Password Export function.

Please modify the code so any 1Password 1 records are automatically converted so they are formatted correctly for .opvault imports.

• MikeT
    edited July 2016

Hi @ivanavich,

We do agree but we're not going to do this for imports because we have a strict rule not to modify any data when importing and exporting data, they must remain the same.

In this case, we need to work on a separate conversion process, rather than reusing our import/export data tools. This is something we're planning for but I don't have a timeframe on this. We do wish to simplify and automate this in the upcoming 1Password 6 update later this year.

• ivanavich
    ivanavich
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Thanks @MikeT

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.