Duplicate entries after moving to a new computer

Hi,

I just got a new computer and now 1Password is asking me to save passwords for sites that are already saved in 1Password. I now have many duplicate entries. How can I stop this and also remove the duplicates?

Regards,

Chris

1Password Version: 4.6.0.592
Extension Version: 4.4.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisdolson: Could you give an example of a specific case where this is happening? 1Password will only offer to save a new login if it doesn't have one saved at all for the site, or if the password entered differs fro the one saved. So for instance, if you're using a login saved for one site (e.g. live.com) that works across multiple sites, you'll be offered to save it again if you're using it at a new address (e.g. hotmail.com). Hopefully that sheds some light on things. In these cases, you can add multiple URLs to the item and choose "Never for this site" when 1Password offers to save it again:

Removing the duplicates is easy: just select the one you want to get rid of in your vaults and Delete. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Hi @chrisdolson,

When this happens, did you have to unlock 1Password first? If 1Password is locked, it can't detect your existing sites since it is encrypted. We have a setting to turn this off but it increases the risk of 1Password not capturing your data on new sites.

• chrisdolson
    chrisdolson
    Community Member

Mike,

Thank you for helping me solve the mystery. Yes, that is exactly what is happening. I had turned that setting off on my old computer and so when I loaded 1Password on the new machine I went back to the default settings. I think I will leave it as is so I don't miss any passwords for new sites.

Thanks again for your help.

Chris

• MikeT
    edited October 2015

Hi @Chrisdolson,

You're welcome! Right now, your best option is to unlock 1Password first thing on the day before opening your browsers.

We do have some ideas on how to improve this in the future and if the idea works well, it will really simplify this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@chrisdolson: Ah, that makes sense! Good catch, MikeT!

I'll admit that hadn't occurred to me in this case, since that would require you to manually enter login credentials you’d already saved — rather than having 1Password do it for you. Be sure to take advantage of 1Password's saving and filling features by using long, random passwords for each site. If you can remember it and type it, it should probably be stronger. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.