Can I get a two step master password? [only you control your data, so no one can authenticate you]

docmcl
docmcl
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Lounge

I love this program but the weakest link is the master password which if hacked could open up all the others -can I get a two step master password which would be more secure?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can I get a two step master password?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@docmcl: No. Use a long, strong, unique Master Password, which is then further strengthened with PBKDF2.

It isn't possible to add a second factor of authentication...as 1Password doesn't authenticate you because it can't: you control your data, and as such there is no one to serve as a gatekeeper to it in oder to authenticate you — once, twice, or ever. Instead, your data is encrypted using your Master Password, rather than being guarded by some entity — natural, supernatural, or otherwise:

Authentication vs. Encryption

It may be that we expand the 1Password 'line' in the future to include a 'service'. If we ever do something like that, we can certainly look into different authentication options. Thanks for letting us know you'd be interested in something like that. But for the time being, no one — including AgileBits — can authenticate you because they don't know anything about you. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.