iCloud Sync Issues (between Mac & iOS)

Options
csnodgr2
csnodgr2
Community Member

I keep having issues with my devices not syncing. Just about a month or so ago I followed the instructions for iCloud Sync issues and was able to get both my Mac & iPhone to sync. I was looking for a password today and noticed my Mac doesn't list all passwords and secure notes that my iPhone does. I clicked sync on both devices and they both say they are synced via iCloud, yet the Mac still doesn't display the right amount. How can I get them to both sync and to stop not syncing correctly?

1Password Version: 1Password Version 5.4 (540046) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @csnodgr2,

So you told us a bit about your Mac but can you let us know what version of 1Password for iOS you are running please.

What we might do is potentially reset the iCloud data and see if that helps but we'll want to make sure there isn't any issue with the version 1Password for iOS first.

• csnodgr2
    csnodgr2
    Community Member
    Options

I'm running Version 6.0.2 on my iPhone 6S running iOS 9.1.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @csnodgr2,

That's good, let's give wiping the iCloud Sync container and seeing if we can reset iCloud Sync.

1. On your Mac launch 1Password for Mac and then use the menu command Help > Troubleshooting > Reset iCloud Data.
    2. Follow the steps.
    3. Pause for a moment - anything involving updating a cloud service means it's not a bad idea to give it a chance.
    4. Re-enable iCloud Sync inside of 1Password for Mac's preferences (the Sync tab).
    5. Turn your attention to 1Password for iOS, you should find it displays a message about iCloud Sync being disabled. Go through the steps to re-enable iCloud Sync here too (Settings > Sync).
    6. Create a test item on both your iOS device and your Mac, does each item appear on the other device?

If the answer to 6. is yes then we've removed whatever the issue was and sync would seem to be working once more. If they don't we'll need to continue investigating.

• csnodgr2
    csnodgr2
    Community Member
    Options

I did the steps. After I Reset iCloud Data via the Mac my iOS device didn't require me to re-enable iCloud Sync. I did disable the iCloud Sync on the iOS device manually and quite the app and then re-opened it and re-enabled the iCloud Sync. Once I did that I checked both the iOS device and the Mac and still they aren't syncing. I created a Test iOS secure note and they a Test Mac secure note and both devices are showing they are synced but neither device shows the other secure note. My iOS device has 8 total secure notes while my Mac only has 2. The Logins categories are also off, iOS has 3,158 while Mac has 3,112. Total the iOS has 3,178 and the Mac has 3,124, so 54 items aren't being synced between the devices right now and it appears that any new ones don't get synced either.

Thanks,
    Cody

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @csnodgr2,

If 1Password on your iOS device didn't give you an error about iCloud sync after resetting the iCloud data in 1Password on your Mac, and if the sync still isn't working between Mac and iOS, please check to make sure you're using the same iCloud account on both:

On your Mac: Open the System Preferences app and select iCloud

On your iOS device: Open the Settings app, then scroll down and select iCloud

Your Apple ID (email address) needs to be exactly the same in both of those places. If not, that definitely explains the problem. Please let us know what you find, thanks! :)

• csnodgr2
    csnodgr2
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, that's what the issue was. I sure wish Apple would come out with a way to merge Apple ID/iCloud accounts.

I updated the Mac to match the iOS device. When They both synced the Mac said it would be merging the details together. I noticed that it looks like anything that came from the iOS device (secure notes, identities, wireless routers, etc.) gets labeled as unnamed instead of showing the actual name used on the iOS device. Any ideas on how to solve that new issue?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @csnodgr2,

I sure wish Apple would come out with a way to merge Apple ID/iCloud accounts.

You can say that again! ;) I know a lot of people who have wanted to do that for a long time.

I noticed that it looks like anything that came from the iOS device (secure notes, identities, wireless routers, etc.) gets labeled as unnamed instead of showing the actual name used on the iOS device.

Hmm, that's strange, I'm not sure why that would have happened. Before doing anything else, you should make a backup of the 1Password data on your iOS device and copy that backup to your Mac by following the steps here: Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

That way, if something happens during troubleshooting and the items on your iOS device also start to show up as "unnamed", you'll be able to get back to the point where they were named correctly.

Once you have a backup, the first thing to try would be to reset iCloud sync again by following the steps that littlebobbytables previously posted. Since you're now using the same Apple ID on your Mac and iOS device, those steps should work as described.

After that, if for some reason those items all appear as "unnamed" on both your Mac and iOS device, what you can do is use the 1Password backup you made from your iOS device to restore that data to 1Password on your Mac (that backup should have the correct item names). To do that, open the 1Password app on your Mac and go to File > Restore. Click Find Backup, then select the backup file you copied to your Mac via iTunes. After your restore from that backup, you'll need to re-enable iCloud sync again, and choose to merge with the data in iCloud.

Please let us know how it all goes! :)

• csnodgr2
    csnodgr2
    Community Member
    Options

Try the first steps you provided and it still showed unnamed entries. I did the restore backup from the iOS device and everything is now synced. I'll keep an eye on it in the next few days and see if I experience anymore issues with the Mac and iOS device syncing.

Thanks for the help,
    Cody

• @csnodgr2 Please do keep us updated on this. If you do have any other issues with syncing, we're here to help out. Glad everything has been sorted out for now. :)

This discussion has been closed.