Backup - unable to create; missing Data folder

ulfman
ulfman
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

My 1Password is unable to create a backup file. It gives an error-message saying that the folder "Data" don't exist. It started after I accidentally erased a previous 1Password version from my Mac. I know ... not my brightest moment ...

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: 4.4.4
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb-search:backup, kb:ios-itunes-backups, kb:backup-faq, ug:mac/backup-preferences

Comments

• Hey @ulfman! Sorry to hear about the accidental erase kerfuffle — that must not have been an enjoyable experience. Once you got things set up again, did you import your data from somewhere? If 1Password isn't able to create a backup file due to the Data folder not existing, that most likely means the installation of 1Password is incomplete. I'll need a bit more info before I can give you some specific instructions though.

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member
    edited October 2015

Yes that's absolutely correct @penderworth! The error-massage states that the DATA-folder i missing. However, all the data is still there, since I sync both my iPhones and my Mac to the same Dropbox.
    If there are more info you need, please let me know, and THANK YOU VERY MUCH for helping me, my dearest friend-in-need @penderworth
    PS. Thanks also for teaching me a new word: kerfuffle :-D

• @ulfman Thanks for the update. Kerfuffle is a fantastic word. I love it.

Since you sync with Dropbox, the best way to get things up and running is to simply get a fresh vault set up on your Mac. Here's the guide for doing that:

How do I start over with an empty vault?

Once you get things up and running, simply follow this knowledge base article to import your data from Dropbox. Let us know how everything goes! :)

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Thanks but ... hmmm ... I can't find the "1 Password 4"- folder in my ~/Library/Application Support ... Sorry to be such a PAIN

• @ulfman Hmm, interesting. Did you find anything in ~/Library/Preferences? That's the main one you'll need to remove since we already know the data folder is not there. Step 4 of that guide will help you remove those files. Let us know how that goes.

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

YES (halleluja) I found both files mentioned in "Step 4" and put them on the Desktop! How should I continue after this? (I don't want to screw things up more ...)

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

I restarted my Mac and I got my main info - from the Primary Vault - into place. Thank you @penderworth!!!
    However, I've got other Vaults that I wish to get back as well. Is that possible?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ulfman: This should be pretty straightforward: just make sure you have Dropbox installed and sync'd, restart your Mac, and then launch 1Password. You should be greeted with the setup screen. Choose "I've used 1Password before", select Dropbox, and you should be back in business. Let me know how it turns out! :)

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Hej @brenty
    I did that and it just synced/imported my Primary Vault. My two other Vaults wasn't synced/imported ... :-(

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Hey again @brenty and @penderworth
    I sorted it out ... I think/hope ...
    I created new Vaults and then I merged them with the old ones ... I hope this was correct/alright ...
    Many thanks for all your help, patience and care. Very happy to have gotten help to sort out this kerfuffle ... !!!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ulfman,

As long as everything seems to be working again then that's all that matters :smile:

If anything doesn't seem right though please do say.

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Everything is working smoothly now, thanks @littlebobbytables I am SOOOOO happy!!! :-D

• @ulfman On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're most welcome! If you have any other questions feel free to let us know. :+1:

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Mr Kerfuffle @penderworth :-D Thanks a million to you too, man! All the best!

• @ulfman Anytime! I'm always here if you need a word for something as well. ;)

• ulfman
    ulfman
    Community Member

Hahaha! Good to know. You'll be my personal Dictionary and Thesaurus henceforth.

This discussion has been closed.