Why don't some passwords display in the extension?

Options
Coco
Coco
Community Member

I'm using the 1Password iOS extension in Safari and can't get certain passwords to display in the extension. I can open the app and copy and paste from it, but the entry won't appear in the suggested list and neither can I search for it.

If I create a new password entry using the extension it shows up and keeps working after I change all the details to match the one that doesn't but I can't do the reverse. That is, I can't change a password entry that doesn't show up to match one that does and get it to display in the extension.

1Password Version: 6.0.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Coco ,

The login items and passwords will show up in the extension based on the URL. So if you have an item in 1Password with the URL "page.mysite.com" and the URL of the web page you are on is "login.mysite.com" then it will not show up. Try editing the URL in the item to be "login.mysite.com" and it should start to show up then. You could also just set it to "mysite.com" and it will show up.

So, the best way to do this, is if you are at a site and the password does not show up in the extension, copy the URL from Safari, switch to 1Password and edit the item that should show up, and paste that URL into the URL field. That should fix it.

If you have any further questions, please reply.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Coco
    Coco
    Community Member
    Options

Apologies for not making myself clear. When I said I'd modified a password entry that doesn't show up to match one that did, I meant that I'd changed every field in the entry, including the website URL. I've tried copying the URL from the browser and pasting it into the field as well as typing it by hand. Neither will make an entry show up. The only workaround I've found so far is to create a new password entry for the login using the extension and then laboriously copy and paste every field from the non-working entry into the new one.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Coco,

So sorry for the trouble here. Would you mind giving us some example URLs of sites you're seeing this problem with, so that we can look into them specifically? Thanks in advance!

• Coco
    Coco
    Community Member
    Options

The appleid.apple.com site is the main one. I manage quite a few Apple IDs both for myself and family members. When I go to 'manage my id' the extension shows some logins but not all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Coco,

Do you happen to use 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows by any chance? I think I've found the cause but oddly enough it doesn't seem something that can be checked in 1Password for iOS.

When you edit a Login item in 1Password for Mac two options become visible that aren't when you just view the item. The two options are display and submit. The one we're interested in is display. The default setting is Always and a Login item is always visible in 1Password mini when set to this. You can stop an item being visible in 1Password mini though by changing the preference from Always to Never display in browser. It never occurred to me to check before but the 1Password iOS Extension also obeys this setting. If I set a Login item to Never display in browser and let the change sync the item disappears from the 1Password iOS Extension and if I set it back to the default they reappear. Now the setting isn't visible or editable in 1Password for iOS but it will follow it if it has been set in another version of 1Password.

Could this be an explanation?

• Coco
    Coco
    Community Member
    Options

I do indeed use 1Password for Mac and you're absolutely right, the missing login items are set to never display in the browser. I don't recall setting them that way, but then they all seem to have last been edited in 2012 so hardly surprising. Now I know how to correct it though, so thanks for taking the time to figure it out.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that helped. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.