I'm having trouble using iCloud to sync my iPhone with my mac

jimlagowski
jimlagowski
Community Member

I'm running iOS 1Password pro version 6.0.2 on my iPhone, and under "Sync", I have iCloud selected as the service. I've checked to ensure that iCloud Drive is turned on in my iPhone settings, and 1Password is turned on under the "iCloud Drive" settings. iOS 1Password pro says that it is syncing to iCloud. On my Mac, I'm running 1Password version 5.4.1 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, and when I sync to iCloud drive, it says that it's syncing, and it creates a file in my iCloud Drive called 1Password.agilekeychain. However, my iPhone and Mac are not syncing to each other. Please help! Thank you.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimlagowski,

1Password 5.4.1 for Mac would indicate that you're running the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac. It's important to make the distinction because 1Password for Mac is also available from Apple's Mac App Store and there is one key difference. The difference is support for iCloud Sync.

When Apple introduced iCloud Drive they started enforcing the restriction that only apps or applications obtained from one of their stores could access iCloud related frameworks. One of those frameworks is CloudKit and its what drives iCloud Sync. Sadly it means only the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac can sync to iCloud.

We're unable to migrate users over from our AgileBits Store version to the Mac App Store as the store does not support this kind of functionality. It means that for AgileBits Store customers who haven't purchased in the last 30 days (our refund window) the options are to consider Dropbox or if iCloud Sync is an absolute must then having to consider purchasing the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac.

If you don't have any strong preferences I would recommend considering Dropbox. You may have plenty of questions so if you do please do ask :smile:

• jimlagowski
    jimlagowski
    Community Member

Hey lbt, thank you for your input. I think I've fixed the problem, since the Mac version I purchased was actually from the app store. I originally had the free version of 1Password on my Mac, and decided to upgrade it as it went on sale recently. While the in-app upgrade button took me to the website, I used the app store instead for convenience. Everything seemed to be working fine until I tried to set up the sync. With your input, I uninstalled 1Password, deleted the iCloud Drive file (may have been overkill), and reinstalled it from the app store, I see now it's version 5.4 (is that correct?) I'm not sure I uninstalled everything because after I re-installed it, it did not act as though it was a fresh install (it had my pw info). At any rate, it seems to be working now as I setup a test login on my iphone, and it transferred to my mac, and vice versa. A weird scenario but may be worthwhile for the records! Cheers.

• jimlagowski
    jimlagowski
    Community Member

I also see that there is no longer a 1Password file created on my iCloud Drive.

• nathanvf
    nathanvf
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimlagowski,

Glad to hear things worked out for you. I just figured I'd let you know exactly what was going on here (especially if someone else is facing this issue and stumbles on this post).

When you setup syncing over iCloud in 1Password it actually uses "iCloud" but not "iCloud Drive" (it's a bit confusing but there are many parts to Apple's iCloud). To sync over iCloud 1Password doesn't create any files in iCloud Drive to do the sync.

To setup iCloud syncing on a Mac, you would not create a file in the iCloud Drive. You should instead go to Preferences > Sync window and select iCloud sync from the pulldown (as discussed this is only currently possible from the Mac App Store version of 1Password).

After you set that up it and assuming it's the same Apple ID it should find your data on iCloud. When you re-installed 1Password that's actually what happened, you selected iCloud from the setup screen and it found your data that was shared with you iPhone.

This discussion has been closed.